Cultural (mis)appropriation

The music industry exploited anyone they could, and the less sophisticated were the most exploited whatever their color. A 22 year old rarely knows a good lawyer. There’s plenty of anecdotes of young white musicians making almost nothing and losing control of their copyrights, even in more recent decades.

See this previous “appropriation” thread for what the community thinks of that. Apparently one needs to be white to commit cultural appropriation. Yet another white guy cast in a non-white starring role

On Mother’s Day we took my mom out for Japanese food. We had a good laugh when my wife asked the waitress what the Japanese word for the pickled ginger was and she replied she didn’t know, she was Chinese. Freakonomics had a segment on whether it is racist that Asian or Mexican restaurants will not hire white waitstaff.

[quote=“orenwolf, post:53, topic:101818”]

• If I start selling [hamantaschen] at a farmers market along with other baked goods, with no reference to their history or origin, that’s appropriation[/quote]

What if it were Frankfurters? Would you have to explain their German origins? That Pizza & zeppoles are Italian? Seems to me the only distinction is the market penetration of the product. In NYC hamantaschen are relatively ubiquitous, in other areas of the continent less so. If I opened a Currywurst stand would I have to explain the origins of it being a German appropriation of a British appropriation of an Indian food?

3 Likes