Cursive handwriting coming back to schools by law

mnenomics must give you the right hump!

3 Likes

Well that’s fucking dumb. Will there be a mandate to go back to quill and fountain pens too? There is no reason to write cursive if you aren’t using that obsolete tech.

8 Likes

I sign my name just fine without cursive. There is no law that says what font you must sign in. And I can read the stuff fine without having to write that way.

6 Likes

I didn’t think cursive and ‘joined italics’ were the same thing.
I learned joined-up writing, which I assume is cursive, at junior school, and I can write quickly and legibly.

My Dad, however, took time to teach himself proper Italic writing. He only ever used a proper fountain pen. His writing was gorgeous, albeit quite painfully slow.

(Past tense is only because now he has reached 87, with Parkinson’s, he has sadly lost this ability, much to his great annoyance).

11 Likes

Whatever do you mean, fellow Lefty?

20 Likes

Hard disagree. Nothing dumb about learning to write manually.

So have many others, for hundreds of years.
X

:wink:

9 Likes

My opinion of cursive writing is…meh. We don’t still write in cuneiform or hieroglyphics, either. Times change. Language changes. Writing changes. Stop trying to force things to not change. Things will always change.

13 Likes

you know damn well why :wink: despite the fact that the nazis never endorsed fraktur as a must, quite the opposite, actually.

10 Likes

Do you think I’m illiterate? I can write just fine, using individual letters. There is no reason I can’t lift my implement off the paper, since I’m not using wet ink and a quill.

5 Likes

No, I don’t think you’re illiterate.
I just think there’s nothing wrong with joined-up writing.

7 Likes

In the handful of situations that allegedly require signatures nobody bats an eye at slurred print with a few ligatures tossed in for flavor.

5 Likes

It doesn’t come up every day. But when you need it, you REALLY need it.

cursive

(From Jim Benton Cartoons, no affiliation)

18 Likes

I learned to write in print very rapidly first year at uni. I haven’t been able to read my own cursive since high school.

16 Likes

Gotta disagree. I am signing stuff constantly. My signature varies with fatigue, concentration, speed, and lots of other variables I can’t think of right now. I guess there are some consistencies, but overall, it can look dramatically different from one to the next.

25 Likes

I just assumed there’s a “Write like an insane werewolf” module in all med schools. :man_shrugging:

14 Likes

Probably in the prescription-writing class.

8 Likes

“If you can read it, it’s wrong” was right after “If the patient understood what you said, you used the wrong words” and “Never use one syllable if 5 will do.” It’s a thing.

15 Likes

What seems really dodgy about this situation isn’t so much the ‘is cursive valuable/why not coding!?!’ slapfight(though I’ve spent enough time dragging my hand through ink for disapproving teachers to have a…position… on cursive specifically); but that it’s coming straight from the legislature.

Should the legislature expect adherence to pedagogical best practices and some amount of attention to the literature from the school system? Absolutely. Is the correct way to get that receiving highly specific mandates from legislators whose only shared qualifications are in axe grinding at idiosyncratic intervals? Maximum nope.

The objective isn’t as distasteful, intrinsically, as the more virulent culture war education meddling; but dynamic is the same; and that’s not good.

14 Likes

I hated learning cursive in primary school. It was boring and torturous. I suppose it was helpful in improving hand/eye coordination, but mostly it felt like busy work. It wasn’t until grade 5 I was dexterous enough to do it well and try my hand at calligraphy. I haven’t used cursive in decades.

I feel it would be good to learn in art class, but I’d rather children learn how to think critically than by rote.

12 Likes

…I didn’t know that. I know Fraktur from some weird mathematical variables and from showing up in some older texts. The second is probably the way a lot of people relate to cursive now. (You can tell it’s not actually being used any more because people keep trying to pass laws to keep it relevant.)

6 Likes