Improve your handwriting with this simple daily practice

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/17/improve-your-handwriting-with.html

9 Likes

Now if we can just get doctors to look at this video…

11 Likes

Anybody got a link that works from Europe?

1 Like

Great little video. I can’t overemphasize the importance of “chanting” or “humming”. It helps to synchronize your mind with your body.

I took some calligraphy a while back, which greatly helped my handwriting overall.

If you hold the pencil further up the shaft toward the eraser end, it’s a good exercise for developing finer control.

That said, my handwriting is a slurry of good intentions.

6 Likes

This One Weird Trick…

5 Likes

Sure, I could practice my handwriting, but what would I use it for ?

6 Likes

download

20 Likes

My handwriting improved when I started taking notes on my iPad and I wanted the OCR engine to work its magic.

3 Likes

But his punctuation is wrong.

2 Likes

Cursive is the opposite of an improvement in handwriting.

2 Likes

as a lefty, i really appreciated her nod to my particular comfort and needs while writing.

5 Likes

Maybe they are. Explains the packed waiting rooms!

:slight_smile:

1 Like

In parochial school we had this one lefty who (in spite of the nuns’ exhortations) held his pen with it sticking up from between his index and middle fingers, and with thumb underneath the pen. Now a noted Lit prof in a major NE uni…!!

1 Like

i know other lefties who write that way, and also with their hand cranked way around from the top, like she demonstrates in the video. when i was in parochial school one of the nuns wanted to force me to write with my right hand, and my mom (also a lefty) said that in no uncertain terms would she allow the school to do that. yay, thanks mom : )

6 Likes

I’m sufficiently ancient that I remember regular classes at primary school which consisted of filling page after page with either single letters or the patterns found in cursive handwriting.

Even decades later the thought of these classes fills me with a strange mixture of dread and boredom. Did anyone else get these? It was a still time when you wrote everything twice - once in draft form in pencil and once ‘for best’ in ink - fountain pen for everything other than maths or lab work. And left-handers were still being forced to use their right hands for writing.

Not the Victorian era - this was the late 1970s!

2 Likes

Next Mother’s Day, send her this:

My left hand use was dissed by nuns…
… then Mom jumped in and kick their buns!

2 Likes

Yup. Sounds like little had changed since the 60’s, strangely the teachers were proud of themselves for not forcing us lefties to write right handed.

2 Likes

You aren’t alone (although we did not have to use fountain pens). I found cursive and the drills associated with it so onerous that when I switched schools in grade 5 I refused to write in cursive ever again… and to this day I print or type. If I try to write cursive it takes forever and looks like it was done by a child.

2 Likes

THANK YOU.  

Cursive is dead. I can read my elderly aunt’s letters, with a bit of trouble.

The world we live in is bigger than it used to be. Standardization for English print is important for the globlal society.

Let’s let cursive die. It is not useful. It can be revived easily if need be.

Let society be more legible.