Customs stole a US citizen's life savings when he boarded a domestic flight, now he's suing to get it back

That begs the question of why the purchase he had in mind had to be done with $50k in cash. Something’s fishy somewhere along the line, even if it’s just the seller will only take Benjamins for, umm, “tax reasons”.

2 Likes

True. Bitcoin could stand to be a bit “perfecter” in that regard.

If you believe the guy, he said that, right up front, with multiple forms of evidence.

None of that evidence Trumped his skin color. Indeed, the begging of that question as a racist act by ICE is the VERY point of the article. No?

1 Like

How did this become about race? Albania is in Europe and the man in question appears to be white in the photo.

“Obama’s DOJ had instructed federal officials to cease the seizure of assets under forfeiture rules; Trump Attorney General Jeff Sessions renewed the practice and instructed officials to aggressively steal stuff from Americans. In 2014, US cops stole more cash and valuables from Americans under asset forfeiture than all the burglars stole in the same period.”

Sorry to inject facts into your Trump bashing, but 2014 was 6 years into Mr. Obama’s term and 2 years before Mr. Trump was even elected. Apparently Mr. Obama’s instructions were ignored!

1 Like

I don’t expect Drumpf to do much campaigning against asset forfeiture or the TSA.

I am disheartened that there are so few Democrats who want to get rid of that crap though.

2 Likes

Why don’t you just admit that you didn’t read the article or even the entire snippet?

1 Like

a perfect visual illustration of how facism starts at the borders with an “acceptable” level of “rational” xenophobia, then spreads inward until it rots the heart.

4 Likes

The zone is technically based on “land or coastal borders”, so I guess they consider the Great Lakes to be “coastal”?

According to the ACLU, several states are entirely covered by this zone, and the ones I’ve bolded don’t have an international border:

Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Hawaii, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island and Vermont lie entirely or almost entirely within this area.

The zone also extends around airports. Basically, the only bits excluded are the nearly-unoccupied central farmlands.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.