The DEA seized an innocent man's life savings without charging him with a crime

Originally published at: The DEA seized an innocent man's life savings without charging him with a crime | Boing Boing

6 Likes

This is not new, it has been going on since Reagan escalated the drug war in the 1980’s, and it’s an embarrassment to this country. (I’d say crime, but obviously it’s not a crime, which is the problem.)

47 Likes

Anyone who thinks this kind of state-sanctioned highway robbery will never come for them but only for “undeserving” Others should think again.

31 Likes

Hm.

https://trashpanda-x.github.io/darklantern/#Institute%20for%20Justice

Friends, enemies, stopped clock.

11 Likes

It should be very much illegal to seize property without repercussions like this. Every item, every coin should be accounted for and if the government can’t prove criminality within X amount of time it should be returned. Full stop. And if anything goes missing whoever last signed for it is responsible. I get that this would mess with the whole “cops can’t be held responsible for… apparently anything” deal that seems to be at the core of US policing but something needs to be done.

15 Likes

Hmmm, I wonders, could it be… [checks photo] Yep, he’s Black. Of course he’s Black. Carrying money while Black? Clearly drug related.

23 Likes

Civil forfeiture with no trial or anything is fucking blood boiling.

25 Likes

Civil forfeiture like this was brought to us in large part by Joe Biden.

I’m sure Psaki can elicit squeals of delight by spinning that away if anyone asks about his plans to fix this sickening practice.

18 Likes

Another one of these cases?

How can we get the word out to the public to NEVER go through an airport or train station with large sums of cash?

30 Likes

It would be nice if some of our government representatives would end this bullshit

11 Likes

Let this be a warning: if you defund the police, they’ll get it from you some other way.

5 Likes

Lemme guess…this has something to do with the level of pigment in his skin.

12 Likes

Bullshit; this was happening long before ‘Defund the Police’ was ever even an idea.

16 Likes

The spoils should go to fund police oversight organizations. If they weren’t captured already.

3 Likes

Yeah, this should be an accounting system, not an evidence system. Collect the funds, sure. Bag and tag. Assign a goddamn crime, though, and successfully prosecute, or the accountant is going to put it back in the person’s account.

Of course, this just pushes the rotten apple further up the tree, but at least there’s less hidden in the shadows.

6 Likes

True. Problem is, most folks have no idea how much these agencies bring in annually through tactics like this. Even after “Defund the Police,” news outlets tend publish the budgets of big cities instead of the high percentage of local budgets that go towards law enforcement. It’s only when cases like this involving cash (or when someone of means loses their house, car, etc.) makes the headlines that they focus briefly on forfeiture:

14 Likes

Don’t travel with cash. Instead, use a Hawala /s

You beat me to it. IJ is doing a ton of good work on this front.

1 Like

Rooting for Kermit all the way. There’s no way this long-standing abuse doesn’t violate the amendment against unlawful search and seizure, and I’m damned tired of this happening to folks.

12 Likes

Christ, what assholes. Defund the DEA!

9 Likes