CVS security guards sue: "they made us tail black and Latino customers"

Yeah, in this context, I suppose there is middle-aged privilege.

And even if you get caught, you can just say “Oh, dear! Thank you, I completely forgot that I grabbed that. I’ll just go back and pay for it. Have a good day, and thanks again!”

3 Likes

When I was ‘door greeting’ at Kmart, a middle-aged white guy walked in one day with his zipper open and his junk flopped out. He just smiled and walked casually right over to the womens’ underwear section. I called security, they told me to handle it discreetly. So I told the guy he was, er, unzipped, and he laughed and said OH WHOOPS and put down the panties he’d been handling, and walked rapidly out the door.

I guarantee if he’d been a black teen, they would’ve called the police instead. Middle-aged folks get a huge benefit of the doubt, automatically, even if they’re being an obvious freaky perv.

5 Likes

Had a friend who regularly stole food by eating it on the way out the door. Chips were the most nonchalantly eatable thing in his opinion.

I don’t remember any examples (wait, one example) but I have a vague notion that there’s a stereotype of middle-aged ladies being shoplifters, especially things they could easily afford. Isn’t this a sort of common cliché?

I know that stereotype is actually true from experience. But I was a shitty looking teenager with a back pack who has never stolen anything ever. Paranoia + poverty (and most teenagers with decent parents are poor as hell) is a terrible ethos.

Working at radioShack I learned very quickly it’s the teenagers with backpacks who are the ones attempting to pick the maglocks and attempting to stuff cellphones in their backpacks, not any other demographic.

It’s a Sad state of affairs. The average 17 year old is given tons of free time and nothing to do, and in most cases can’t get a job, and of course their parents still think of them as “our baby” and don’t trust tgem with money, so how the hell are they supposed to fianance any of their fun? They end up with responsibilities, but no respect or trust, and when you treat someone as inherently untrustworthy, they have no incentive to act in a way that’s trustworthy, and they end up stealing shit to sell later, or swindling other teenagers because that’s their only option if they want to buy anything privately. Like condoms or bc pills or a little ditch weed or booze or a game that their parents don’t want them to have, or a camera or a new cell phone or pretty much anything they don’t want to let thier parents know they have.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.