Data shows young people are free speech advocates, but mainstream support for censoring "anti-American" speech is rising

Driving cars into people… kettling people. They committed acts of violence at that rally, the antifa acted in self-defense there.

But, but, but… Hitler disavowed violence when he got out of jail! the commies were the real bad guys! they set the Reichstag on fire! /s

But seriously, some people just have major history fail in addition to just believe whatever they are told about the so-called peaceful right wing. The Second World War and the Holocaust moving out of living memory is only going to make all this worse. And more and funding is being pulled for humanities, our major bulwark against this kind of ignorance.

3 Likes

History has a lesson to teach but no one wants to listen - “Can’t happen here.” (because of US exceptionalism or something) is the new motto.

I know. I very much push back against that ignorance, but I only teach a very small fraction of people history every year. In fact I just did the great war, depression, and ww2, with a strong focus on the holocaust and rape of nanjing, and I highlight the democratic way that hitler came to power - elected, staging a coup after the Reichstag fire, etc. And to be fair, we’ve always had the exceptionalism view.

This is also some of the dark side of postmodernism (relativism) and our entire divided media landscape. When all “opinions” are equal and everyone has their own version of reality, it’s hard to come to democratic consensuses, and to move forward productively.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.