David Cross on how much America actually sucks

That should be the national motto/PR slogan: “America! Could be worse! Still better than Venezuela!”

14 Likes

he said “significantly less than the national median”. The income spread is much higher in the US.

Yes that is quite literally what he said

12 Likes

Ahem. Excuse me. How the United States of America actually sucks. America is a continent divided in two main parts : North America and South America.
Pedantic yes. Necessary? Absolutely.
The US will suck less when they start calling their country USA or United States. Not just America.

6 Likes

It is not suppose to suck at all.

6 Likes

Hah, trick question!

9 Likes

You know, say what you will about America, but thirteen bucks still gets you a hell of a lot of mice.

14 Likes

“Yeah, you say peace. I kinda think you mean the other thing.” - Nick Fury

8 Likes

The response to “we’re not clearing the bar” should not be “let’s lower the bar, then.” The USA is the wealthiest country in the world and could easily do much better.

10 Likes

Our new slogan.

America! We could suck worse! (and will if the GQP has their way)

Yes, we could be worse. The point was, there’s no reason we, as rich as we are, have to be THIS BAD.

13 Likes

There are many minor inaccuracies in the video, which is unnecessary, as accurate statements would look just as bad.

19 Likes

Surely the point is about whether it spends as much as it raises.

I’ve read that conservatives in South Korea like to answer criticism by saying that things are worse in North Korea. They are very fortunate to have an impoverished dictatorship next door that they can pretend is a relevant comparison.

11 Likes

The worst possible whataboutism.

That was how South Korean regimes got away with authoritarian rule for so long.

[Conservative] America is built on the false promise that, if you work hard, you will get rich, and then everything is open to you: no taxes, full benefits, fulfilling feeling knowing that non-rich live in misery (with some racist machinery thrown in that only allows whites to achieve the Promise). The working conservative poor toil in near poverty knowing that, some day, they will live like kings. They enslave themselves.

12 Likes

The fact that South Korea was a dictatorship itself (and poor before Park Chung-hee’s industrialisation drive) is probably one of the reasons (along with shared Korean “blood”) why conservatives still think that the comparison is appropriate.

5 Likes

Here’s my nomination for the worst, most misleading video:

Here’s my nomination for (what I thought would be) the worst, most misleading video:

I was sure, given the website’s putrid bent, the answer would be NO. Remarkably, it somehow arrives at the correct answer. I think the reason they are comfortable with broaching the subject at all is because it was “those bad Democrats” who perpetuated slavery and started the Civil War.

6 Likes

Though the main reason that Venezuela is in the state it is in is America.

14 Likes

Moving from Cleveland to Hong Kong would actually move me to a place with higher life expectancy and a move to Caracas, Beijing, or Moscow would be a reduction comparable to what I would face between different Cleveland area neighborhoods and suburbs. The average resident of Caracas gets a decade over the average resident of the Hough neighborhood. I could do the same for infant mortality and a bunch of other basic statistics, but I would rather not start my day ready to break down crying.

It isn’t here either, we just created multiple minimum wages. The best known is the tipped minimum wage, but we also have the even more disgusting disability minimum wage. The illegal underpayments are another problem. Given the nature of our immigration system a lot of employers get away with threatening deportation. Then there’s the wage theft which is the illegal, but functionally sanctioned theft of wages by employers. The US labor market is fractally bad. Each time you zoom in the details get worse.

13 Likes

So which one of those is the lowest? Because that’s what people in other countries mean by a “minimum wage”.

(Maybe we should have a maximum wage as well?)

3 Likes

This is an example of how liberals shoot themselves in the foot. A theme of “how much America sucks” plays well to the core, but comes across as being pessimistic, anti-American, and being a jerk. It turns people away and even against you. It’s all stick.

America doesn’t suck. There are opportunities for improvement. Look at how far we’ve come and what exciting things we have an opportunity to still do. There’s a carrot!

2 Likes

And, yet, if your were to show your crazy uncle this video, all he will hear is “highest taxes” and immediately start yelling that taxes should be cut, and completely miss the point that the taxes are being mis-used and wasted.

I’m kind of surprised no mention is made of the cost and size of the US military, which substantially adds to the tax burden.

9 Likes