DEA will ban kratom, a popular herbal supplement

If the wink wasn’t enough, I was being facetious in my outrage.

ETA typo fixed.

Depends what kind of safe…

5 Likes

You just keep telling yourself that. What ever gets you to sleep at night.

1 Like

In the most extreme cases seizures are reported.

HOLY SMOKES!

What happens in the most extreme cases of aspirin toxicity?

14 Likes

I guess acute liver failure and death are not as damaging to the public health as seizures…

According to the FDA, in the United States there were “56,000 emergency room visits, 26,000 hospitalizations, and 458 deaths per year related to acetaminophen-associated overdoses during the 1990s. Within these estimates, unintentional acetaminophen overdose accounted for nearly 25 percent of the emergency department visits, 10 percent of the hospitalizations, and 25 percent of the deaths.”
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paracetamol

12 Likes

If they care about seizures, why don’t they phase out the full-on high-frequency strobe lights on ambulances, police cars, etc.?

10 Likes

Why not both?

5 Likes

Let’s keep in mind that kratom is completely unregulated, with no standards, no quality controls, nothing. It’s helpful for many people, but there are alternatives that are way, way less sketchy and less prone to sending people to the ER.

1 Like

PLEASE EVERYONE SIGN THE PETITION…At least it could have an effect and it only takes a minute

I’ve been using kratom twice a week for the last year to help with chronic fatigue. Some observations:

1. While kratom is mild compared to common opiates, it does have some of the same downsides. Taking daily over a long period of time can lead to tolerance, dependency and withdrawal. I’ve never had any of these problems taking it twice a week.

2. Kratom’s effects are very subtle. In low doses, it’s helps with energy, motivation and mild pain relief. In higher doses, it can be sedating and mildly euphoric. I imagine all the seizures and other overdose issues are with people expecting to get high and taking way too much after they decide it’s not really working. Making kratom Schedule I will likely only serve to increase people’s perceptions that it’s a drug you can get high on.

3. I’ve seen plenty of people claim that kratom helped them get off of harder drugs. I’ve also heard of cases of people who were off of hard drugs start taking kratom and then end up back on hard drugs. Based on the anecdotal evidence I’ve seen, I would guess that it’s helped more drug addicts than it’s hurt.

4. Kratom is a great potential candidate for chronic conditions like pain and fatigue. It is likely to have fewer downsides than existing prescription pain meds. I hope this dumb move by the FDA doesn’t completely stop research into the medical benefits of this drug. It will make it harder, as it is a complete pain in the ass to obtain a Schedule I drug for research.

20 Likes

They’d have a lot of competition. Weed is far easier to grow than tobacco, and is useful in far smaller amounts. You could keep yourself supplied with the pot you grow in a broom closet, whereas a year’s worth of cigarettes would probably take about an acre of land in a particular climate.

6 Likes

Basically any headline containing “DEA” can be more productively read as:

“The shit-eating dogs in the DEA, who would happily deny someone in crippling pain relief, rather than take a chance that someone might use drugs for fun, are at it again.”

10 Likes

What: We the people are leading the charge to march in front of the white house to support Kratom and prevent the DEA from labeling Kratom as a Schedule I Substance

Link to Petition https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/please-do-not-make-kratom-schedule-i-substance

Where: The White House 1600 Pennsylvania Ave Washington D.C.

When: Thursday Sept 8th @ 12:00PM

Why: Schedule I drugs, substances, or chemicals are defined as drugs with no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse.
This is not true for Kratom, it has been shown numerous times in reports from users to help recovering Opiate addicts, treat pain, combat depression and anxiety, and much more. Deaths that involve Kratom being a persons’ system have always been from the result of mixing Kratom with other drugs, rather than Kratom alone. In states that banned Kratom, Alabama specifically, opiate usage and deaths went up after Kratom was banned in the state. Please stop the DEA from scheduling Kratom as Schedule I, there are many people who will suffer from this.

Sources:

http://jaoa.org/article.aspx?articleid=2094342

4 Likes

Let’s just hope that self-regulators end up heading in that direction, against all evidence to the contrary.

2 Likes

My problem with that, is, why kratom in particular, rather than every drug. I’d be down with a march demanding that we string every one of those fuckers up from the nearest lamppost.

2 Likes

See, for reference:
Fish – Now By Prescription
Sleep – Now By Prescription

2 Likes

Many municipalities are, for just this reason. All emergency services and police units in my area have switched to non-strobing/flashing lights. It’s so much easier on the eyes, especially at night.

The FDA ain’t the ones banning it.

1 Like

If you want to help the only way is to write your congressmen and women and encourage your friends to.

Sure they would be the Bud Light of weed (see what I did there?).

But while it isn’t hip like all the craft beers, they still sell a shit ton of it.

1 Like

Laws against plants.
Laws against plants.
Laws against plants.

Laws against plants.

Just repeat it until the absurdity of it all overwhelms you.

4 Likes