Deadly AM radio tower experiment: hot dog speaks on contact

Fun fact: The Dish of the Day is played by Peter Davison, also known as the actor who succeeded Tom Baker as The Doctor in Doctor Who.

2 Likes

Long ago I was transmitter engineer at a 50 kw AM station. Once my hand got too close to a tuning coil and the station automatically shut off briefly. It left several tiny yellow-ringed holes in my hand. No pain and a slight acrid smell. I was lucky.

2 Likes

And that’s why when I radio-cook my hotdogs, I put them in a Faraday Cage called a microwave. That blocks them from talking, singing or playing music.

2 Likes

It looks to me like what was happening with the hotdog was plain old electrical arcing from the voltage difference between the antenna and ground, rather than dielectric heating. Note that they were careful to hook a ground wire to the hotdog for the parts where it was getting zapped, and most of the effect was on the end of the hotdog in contact with the antenna pole. Without the ground wire nothing much happened to the hotdog.

Microwave ovens work by dielectric heating and you’re generally not creating plasma with them unless you put in highly conductive items (or grapes cut in half).

4 Likes

Oh you kids today with your fancy magnetrons…

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.