Dear young people, "Don't vote." Sincerely, old white people

This discussion kind of feels like a circular firing squad. It’s great that people have such emotion and enthusiasm for the topic of getting out the vote. But infighting is counterproductive. It would be more helpful if we were all shooting in the same direction, at the enemy instead of each other—the enemy being all the reasons people don’t vote.

“Can’t we all just get along?” —King. :wink:

1 Like

In other words, you want people who keep bringing up uncomfortable facts about our democracy to shut up. Not actually very helpful.

And even King recognized that sometimes, white liberals telling the movement to wait, be more patient, be more polite ask more nicely, don’t scare people, etc, etc, was a MAJOR part of the problem in America. So was it and so shall it ever be.

7 Likes

Fuck no.

~ Reginald Denny.
7 Likes
  1. not exactly
  2. try another King

The answer is still a resounding NO.

Only some of us can ‘get along’ with one another, and only then if we work at it consistently.

6 Likes

The point still stands that quelling dissent because it makes some (white people) uncomfortable is a tactic used to maintain white supremacy. The point that Dr. King make is STILL relevant today.

Voter suppression is a MAJOR ongoing problem, especially in communities of color. Given the nature of the current administration, which is throwing children into concentration camp for being the wrong color and born on the wrong side of an imaginary line, which has accused undocumented immigrants for “stealing” the popular vote, who calls the press the enemy of the “people”, that regularly spins up larger crowds on obvious lies, not to mention other GOP operatives (Brian Kemp), who are clearly seeking to win even if they can’t get a majority by earning it with policies that people can get on board with, this is not something to ignore, shrug off or wait to point out. That’s how we end up with authoritarian rule. As Upton Sinclair noted way back in the 30s, it CAN happen here.

4 Likes

I’m not sure why you’re directing this to me. I’m on your side. My point was intended to be that we need to address all the reasons people can’t vote, and not blame people for not overcoming their obstacles, but help move those obstacles.

The Rodney King reference was an attempt at humor. Sorry if it was too subtle not obvious.

Peace.

EDIT: Bad word choice. Snark not intended.

I am dumb as a brick, so I guess I missed it.

2 Likes

9 Likes

Thanks. The constant talking down by some around here gets to me sometimes.

8 Likes

Believe me, I know; all too well.

7 Likes

all-men-must-die

6 Likes

7 Likes

Seconded.

5 Likes

My oh my…I surely have missed your posts. Takes me back…

50608313-young-businesswoman-sitting-at-table-and-looking-dreamily-away

5 Likes

Chris!

How I have missed you and the rest of the Phaet dearly, though this forum is home now.

Did you see that Tunnel Vision started us a new non-FB site? Im supposed to login and give feedback, but it requires installing an app, and you know how I feel about that

7 Likes

I just saw that yesterday. I hadn’t been on FB for a couple of months. If it means installing an app I’ll have to wait for one of my nieces or nephews to get home at Thanksgiving. Lol…

3 Likes

Surely you’re not claiming old age already?

2 Likes

No. Technological retardation of the brain. :crazy_face:

3 Likes

I’m just against installing any new apps on my phone or PC; too much invasive, predatory, ‘3rd-party’ bullshit

2 Likes