Death Cab for Cutie's Ben Gibbard covers Teenage Fanclub's Bandwagonesque

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/07/28/death-cab-for-cuties-ben-gib.html

1 Like

I really like Death Cab for Cutie, but I feel that “The Concept” really suffers without the big distorted guitar. I feel that part of what makes the TF version amazing is the surprise gear change into the long fade out. The DCfC version sounds too “easy listening” to me. Going home to pretentiously hug my Bandwagonesque vinyl now.

2 Likes

Just saw TF a couple of months ago at the Ironworks. Anyone else? They’re an all-time favorite and didn’t disappoint even though they looked like a bunch of middle-aged suburban dads, as did most of the audience, my party included. DCFC is another all-time favorite, and I’ll send a huge “thank you” for perpetuating the vibe. Come to Inverness, Ben, and while you’re about it, can you throw in a Bevis Frond tune or three?

1 Like

The sound of Ben’s record is intensely contemporary. It is the emotive sound of today.

I wonder how many teens would agree?

It’s nice he paid homage to an inspirational record - fair play to him But I don’t think the Bellshill Beachboys need an emo make-over. At all.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.