Death rates due to accidents charted by age and gender

Thing is those teenagers survive things that will kill the 70yr old.

3 Likes

What I see here is that, at about age 15, male rates of death “by accident” skyrocket as compared to females. 15, as an age, is squarely in the ‘teenage’ years so, I don’t get where this sentiment of surprise at their unexpected survival comes from - they’re dying at 3x the rate of their female cohorts. Here’s the deal tho: this is the age when they gain more freedoms: driving, having a job, dating. They’re making decisions for themselves and they’re TERRIBLE at it!! They have little impulse control ‘cuz their brains aren’t quite ripe yet. (My mama instilled in us that very few events called ‘accidents’ truly are accidents; that most can be traced to very poor decision-making.)

4 Likes

5 Likes

So how much is “boys will be boys?”

I notice the toddler range is also a significant increase over girls before dipping down and then going up as teenagers again. If my personal experience are accurate, then a good portion of boys simply are not patented as strictly under that justification - usually uttered as a non-apology for a parent not wanting to say no.

Then again, I live in a Texas suburb and heard a group of parents talking about how Daniel Tiger is good for little girls but would turn a boy into a pussy.

3 Likes

Given the initial arc, I’d be fascinated to see it with auto-related deaths filtered out for both sexes.

2 Likes

Workplace injuries and death are a very real thing. Teens aren’t typically exposed to those.

3 Likes

…or even just create undue wear-and-tear on the old fart.

I have such a hard time remembering I’m not made of Nerf anymore. I do get unpleasantly and firmly reminded when I’m laying flat on my back with one of those styrofoam roller-thingies under my knees to relieve the pressure on my osteoarthritis!

1 Like

That’s what happened to my brother on Christmas Eve when I was chasing him around his house. HIS house - he owned it, because we were in our thirties, and still roughhousing at Christmas. …and my family doesn’t even drink.

2 Likes

Boys are generally larger than girls at small ages, and toddlers have big heads, which gravity tends to pull downward… boys fall more.

Teenage males die more frequently in motor vehicle accidents than do females.

The first two years of driving are the most dangerous, regardless of the age-of-driving laws (15yrs vs 16yrs, etc). However, stepped driver licenses make an enormous difference in morbidity and mortality.

In the elderly, reaction times, osteoporosis, flexibility, cardiovascular compensation, and other differences caused by aging increase the risk of post trauma mortality. Then add in blood thinners!

Trauma epidemiology is super interesting.

2 Likes

When my uncle was a teenager he made a bomb out of gunpowder from fireworks and blew three fingers off one hand so he just has a pincer left.

2 Likes

each data point on that graph is a tragedy.

Still I remember at college, late at night, with some friends who had gotten ahold of a wooden trunk of fireworks. It was very late at night, and we had gone back to the abandoned amphitheater, where it was dark. To see the contents of the box, more light was needed.

One of my friends, brought out his lighter, as one does.

And I ran, as one does.

2 Likes

Also, the accidents we had as kids are all coming home to roost. I jacked my back at age 18 while working in a warehouse, and went right back to work the next day. Now I have to be SOOO careful because little things will send pain rocketing through my world.

40 is not being kind to me.

1 Like

Might not be what you expect. I was shocked to find that accidental poisonings are now more lethal than vehicle accidents. That is not how it used to be, last time I looked at these stats. Maybe that’s the opioid crisis? I feel like that number used to be under 10,000.

Vehicular accidents: 37,757
Accidental shooting: 489
Poisoning (all types): 47,478

Here are CDC numbers for 2015:

1 Like

It’s not that teenagers “suffer less accidents”, it’s that they suffer fewer fatal accidents.

1 Like

Seems likely. Change in overdose numbers are staggering; in a more competent political era, this would be the only story.

source: drugabuse.gov

5 Likes

A few times?!?!

0_o

Face it, mister, you’re a cat.

@EylerWerve: Show this chart to Jeff Sessions, then ask him why he’s so intent on over-policing marijuana. (I’m hoping his little evil elf head asplodes.)

1 Like

Well, and global warming.

…and Hillary’s emails, obviously.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.