Death stalks the joyriders

Supervised Hanky Panky would have been so much worse :wink:

2 Likes

According to WHO (part of the Global New World Order), cars see off one and a quarter million people per year around the world. I, for one, am particularly wary around our automotive masters.

@LDoBe, the fourth horseman appears to be Wild Beasts, rather than Death per se, ā€œAuthority was given to them over a fourth of the earth, to kill with sword and with famine and with pestilence and by the wild beasts of the earth.ā€ So nasty varmints rather than some vague, none-specific Death. Unless Wild Beasts refers to the indie rock band from Kendal.

I was familiar with certain translations referring to Michael the Archangel as the angel of death, but he was a ā€œgoodā€ angel and was acting on Godā€™s command which didnā€™t make sense in this context and he wouldnā€™t look like the depicted death figure. My understanding was that the angel of death arose from a mistranslation issue but I couldnā€™t find that info so late (brain fry) but I did find this: http://www.compellingtruth.org/angel-of-death.html

I hadnā€™t considered the fourth horseman, maybe heā€™s moonlighting as a reaper until his full time gig of the Apocalypse starts up? War certainly has been busyā€¦lol.

I guess it just occurred to me that the symbology and message seemed to me at least to be oddly not of christian origin. I could be over thinking it.

Anyway, thanks for the thought provoking reply and actually answering my puzzlement. :slight_smile:

The poster is from the UK, but it was probably fairly similar in the US.

Another account from the UK:

Thousands of people died in road accidents. The number of road accidents increased because of the lack of street lighting and the dimmed traffic lights. To help prevent accidents white stripes were painted on the roads and on lamp-posts. People were encouraged to walk facing the traffic and men were advised to leave their shirt-tails hanging out so that they could be seen by cars with dimmed headlights.

1 Like

Of course trains also canā€™t dodge out of the way of a stopped or oncoming trainā€¦ Trains tend to collide with other trains (or cars at level crossings, as implied by the illustration) rather than fixed objects like trees.

1 Like

Looks like a Wes Freed painting

[quote=ā€œBoundegar, post:5, topic:41490, full:trueā€]
Does the Lord ruthlessly enforce the speed limit? [/quote]

A Christian friend of mine said that 1 Peter Chapter 2 verse 13 (ā€œSubmit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lordā€™s sakeā€) compelled him to follow the speed limitā€“something he admitted he had trouble doing. He was a terrible driver. God was definitely not his co-pilot.

3 Likes

A lucky thing he does not live in a oppressive oligarchy where dissent is punished.

ā€œRemove ignition key when parking.ā€ Really? Either cars worked much different in the UK back then or it should be ā€œRemove ignition key when parked.ā€

Romans 13:1-3 is more appropriate. ā€œLet every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore he who resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgement.ā€

2 Likes

ā€˜ā€˜Parkingā€™ā€™ in that context, is the whole process which concludes when you leave the car (and lock the doors).

How about 2 King 9:20?

The lookout reported, ā€œHe has reached them, but he isnā€™t coming back either. The driving is like that of Jehu son of Nimshiā€“he drives like a maniac.ā€

2 Likes

Or Robert Williams, see:
A White Knuckle Ride for Lucky St. Christopher

1 Like

Whereas a bad driver can only die once,
the jaywalker dies a thousand imagined deaths.

1 Like

I thought it meant fucking in a parked car. Maybe theyā€™re concerned you might leave your keys in an uncomfortable pocket.

1 Like

Hmm. Thatā€™s a good point, but I donā€™t think we went in much for blackouts during the war, since none of our enemies could really reach America. As far as I can tell from a quick Google, the US didnā€™t institute blackouts in the continental US until early 1942, and then only of coastal lights visible from offshore, on the east coast only. (The one thing that could reach America was the submarine, and apparently a lot of shipping was lost just off the coast to U-boats picking out the silhouettes of their targets against the city skyline glow.)

There were blackouts on the west coast as well.

Were there? Hm. Well, I didnā€™t look all that hard. :slight_smile: I think Iā€™ve also heard that there were much stricter blackouts in Hawaii, vulnerable as it obviously was to the Japanese Navy.

In any case, Iā€™m not sure those scattered measures can be credited for a 15%-ish rise in automobile deadliness by themselves. One site I found said that the East Coast blackouts were strictly of lights visible from off shore at sea level, so even in seaside communities, most neighborhoods more than a few blocks from the shore could still be well-lit.

Submarine races!

1 Like