Deep learning AI "autoencodes" Blade Runner, recreates it so faithfully it gets a takedown notice

I tried to get my AI to do the same thing, but instead of autoencoding Blade Runner it just got the whole movie off a torrent while it played Dark Souls III. I have to say, the reproduction of Blade Runner was pretty fantastic, though.

10 Likes

the neural net, working naively to identify the significant elements of each frame, without human supervision, was able to capture the most important data

Itā€™s version of ā€œmost importantā€ doesnā€™t really match humanities version, does it? A person would key on movement or on human faces, but this does a particularly bad job of both.

So let me get this straight, his AI created a replicant of a movie about replicants ?

7 Likes

Arenā€™t there already disputes over artificially ā€˜readingā€™ e-books, in cases where an audiobook isnā€™t available for people with visual impairment?

No, of kittens. Donā€™t be silly.

1 Like

That was my sort of thought also. I wasnā€™t aware that Youtubes system was a ā€œneural netā€, but I believe that a system like that does probably generate some minimal hash/fingerprint of the content for indexing. As at least one of the indicators.

Simply recording the predominant colours in the frames, sampled over time, and allowing for a margin of error, would probably eliminate almost every other video ever uploaded, and strike a positive here.

There is surely a lot more to it than that, and itā€™s much deep maths, but at its core, i can imagine the indexing system is comparing some vastly rounded-down metricsā€¦ and in this case the reductive metric was a match.

I wonder if some of those scenes with the blurred people is how those who cannot see faces, see the world.

1 Like

Which version is it?

That was his artistic vision.

One of the bits of software is a lesbian.

2 Likes

Exactly. This boils down to computers being programmed to compress data (in this case a video), which is nothing new. Cloaking it in breathless hyperbole (ā€œthe neural net, working naively to identify the significant elements of each frame, without human supervisionā€¦ā€) is manipulative a best, and misleading at worst.

1 Like

Thank you . I thought I didnā€™t understand until your comment.LOL

Iā€™ll give you not letting them see Terminator. However Blade-Runner I would view as required viewing as it explores the nature of emotion and mortality.that just because youā€™re ā€˜supposedā€™ to go through murdering and or executing commands does not mean it is the correct thing to do from a moral standpoint.

My argument in favor of Short Circuit is even simpler:
ā€˜I know killing is wrong, but who taught you?ā€™
ā€˜I taught me.ā€™

I prefer the electric unicorn fan edit personally.

2 Likes

Johnny 5 IS alive!!! No Disassemble!

2 Likes

And yet he was able to protect his life without killing.

3 Likes

stopā€¦youā€™re going to make me cry! erā€¦i meanā€¦i donā€™t cry at that movieā€¦that would be silly, iā€™m a grown man for christ sake! :slight_smile: (okay, iā€™ll admit it, i do, iā€™m a softie)

2 Likes

Jonny is effectivly a child forced to defend his right to exist and managed to do so without killing or even permnently injuring anyone. It does a bit wrong (indian guy justā€¦ Dude no. Plz stop) but itā€™s one of the most hopeful ā€˜we made a killer robotā€¦ oopsā€™ movies ever.

2 Likes

He should have tried for the opposite effect: Recreate the video in such a way that the YouTube content id did not see the same thing.

ā€œIs this a copy of Blade runner?
No my content id system clearing identifies it as two Russians bass fishing with dry ice.ā€

3 Likes

Sounds like a self-taught compression algorithm.

I wonder how the reencoded movie is for human viewingā€¦

I think your AI got it from another AI named ā€œXVIDā€