Defcon vote-hacking village shows that "secure" voting machines can be broken in minutes

Stop arguing this. It’s not the thread for it. We are a grown up nation (despite things) and can do more than one thing at a time.

You pointed out that we are already actually worried about the very thing you keep harping. This is an issue. It is serious. It may already be happening. None of that has anything to do with your point.

Without a sound audit trail no one can check. We know that Republicans generally favor other methods, but that doesn’t preclude machine tampering to the extent that it should be taken as a given in a discussion. Our current audit trails wouldn’t catch a reasonably well structured attack. Take the 2016 Michigan results as an example, roughly 2/3 of precincts in Detroit couldn’t be recounted due to basic discrepancies in ballot counts. Now I’m not saying that anything did happen, but when you can’t recount the majority of precincts in the largest city of a major state, you can’t rule out wrongdoing. The incentives to cheat exist, the willingness to subvert popular intent exists, and the technical means to cheat exist.

Yes. It’s exactly the problem you make it out to be. And I never disputed that. Though I do find it likely that any large scale attempt to do so would be noticed.

I was simply backing some one else up on the assertion that there are bigger problems with more wide spread effects already happening. Voter suppression in most states in every election. Political and racial gerrymandering in most states, effecting every election. That we know to be shifting more votes than is typically feared with regards to rigged machines in a few places in an individual election.

And that’s before you get into the surprisingly effective Russian propaganda effort just last year. All the hacking they did seems to have been about leaking embarrassing information. Manipulating the media. Including pushing discouraging conspiracy and nut job claims in social media and driving them up into the headlines.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.