Leaked NSA docs: Russian military hacked US voting software company, spearphished 122 election officials

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/06/05/nyet.html

8 Likes

Unfortunately I’ve seen a shift in the Trump support camp over the last 6 months:

“Malarkey! There’s no evidence the Russians hacked the election” >
“There was no collusion between the Russians who hacked the election and the Trump camp” >
“The Russians aren’t so bad compared to Killary!”

18 Likes

Don’t you people get it? What part of “there is no evidence” don’t you understand???

Oh…wait…there actually is evidence?

24 Likes

Paper! User paper ballots.

26 Likes

Then Super Man came down and kicked their asses.

7 Likes

[quote=“lasermike026, post:4, topic:102198, full:true”]
Paper! User paper ballots.
[/quote]This wasn’t a hack of voting machines. So paper ballots wouldn’t have done a thing. The hacking was directed at voter registration databases. An attack would (did?) consist of things like purging people they ID’d as Dems, changing info so they wouldn’t be able to provide “correct” verifying info when voting, or sending ballots to the wrong place. Which is to say, it would have looked like the ongoing voter suppression efforts the GOP is already engaged in.

39 Likes

…which is why the GOP does not want an independent investigation into the matter. Why turn away Russian help?

17 Likes

They’ll probably just try to deport him, he’s not “from here” after all.

11 Likes

absolutely true but… from the report ( i edited for brevity )

hackers [could] target a company to get closer to the actual tabulation.

one of the main concerns in the [NSA] scenario is the officials setting up the electronic poll books are the same people doing the pre-programming of the voting machines. The actual voting machines aren’t going to be networked, but they receive manual updates and configuration. If those were the people targeted by the GRU malware.

Software updates could infect the election management system… Once you do that, you can cause the voting machine to create fraudulent counts.”

11 Likes

I wonder what Fox News will be reporting when story goes mainstream.

HALAL FOOD: SECRET MUSLIM PLOT LIBERALS LOVE!

17 Likes

That sounds all-too-plausible.

3 Likes

Is this the story leaked by Reality Winner?

Is this actual reality? Is this real life?

9 Likes

No longer anonymous. https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/federal-government-contractor-georgia-charged-removing-and-mailing-classified-materials-news

4 Likes

Like folie à deux but folie à whole-damn-county?

I, for one, have had the feeling that this is a acid bad trip, since some time last fall…

5 Likes

I’m surprised that they didn’t send that leak to Wikileaks.

Haha, no, just kidding.

11 Likes

Going by the affidavit at the link, the operational security for leaking this was not high. (emphasis added)

13 The U.S. Government Agency examined the document shared by the News Outlet
and determined the pages of the intelligence reporting appeared to be folded and/or creased,
suggesting they had been printed and hand-carried out of a secured space.
14 The U.S. Government Agency conducted an internal audit to determine who
accessed the intelligence reporting since its publication. The U.S. Government Agency
determined that six individuals printed this reporting. WINNER was one of these six individuals.
A further audit of the six individuals’ desk computers revealed that WINNER had e-mail contact
with the News Outlet. The audit did not reveal that any of the other individuals had e-mail
contact with the News Outlet.

3 Likes

Bullshit, the voting machines where a target and they were one node away from those system. What part of the same people who program the voting machines are the same people that update the voter rolls did you miss?

1 Like

Could we please avoid shifting the focus from ‘what’ to ‘who’? There is another thread relating to the ‘who’, and the ‘what’ remains very important.

15 Likes

I wonder what, exactly, is Top Secret here?

Erase “GRU”/“Russia”/etc and its just a diagram that operationally defines what constitutes “spearphishing”.

8 Likes

6 Likes