Defensive gun ownership is a farce

Just remind him the US government has military drones. Maybe we can get them to hide under their beds and stay there if we frighten them enough.

Then give me another option!

One that doesnā€™t rely on pretending Australia is the same as the USA would be preferable, but I personally am willing to listen to absolutely any suggestions (thanks, @Daneel!).

@Brainspore, your skepticism is understandable, but donā€™t poison the well, please.

Remember, the point is to decrease accidental gun deaths without increasing the number of people killed by criminals. Everybody wants that, regardless of their views on the police state and self-defense. Everyone. Why fight? Why not cooperate? Is it more important to make oneā€™s political opponents submit to oneā€™s will, or is it acceptable to make meaningful temporary alliances to achieve beneficial social change?

The more ideas are floated, the more likely it is that alternatives can be found. As Iā€™ve already said, right now I see exactly two achievable options. I hope nobody likes the second one. The first one, education, is abhorrent to a sizable fraction of the anti-gun crowd because it means their children would almost certainly handle guns, and itā€™s objectionable to a sizable fraction of the the pro-gun crowd because it would be a government mandate paid for from the public purse. We need more options since thereā€™s too much opposition to these two.

2 Likes

It doesnā€™t seem that straightforward to me. All but one of the times I had been threatened with firearms was by police. When I was not doing anything particularly illegal.

7 Likes

For the record, I know (and like) a good many hunters, though I am not much interested in joining them. My only beef is with the Ruby Ridge mentality. We really donā€™t live in the wild west.

Iā€™ve never seen that Steinbeck quote, and itā€™s brilliant.

1 Like

I donā€™t think you can compare the US to these other countries. Their cultural make up is different. Their violent crime and causes of it are different. Before they cracked down on guns their crime rates werenā€™t like ours either. The also arenā€™t the crime free utopia they hoped to be, violence just moved to other means.

If you cherry picked and removed the worst, densest areas of gun violence the rest of the US actually looks like our neighbors to the north in Canada. To me this says we have some specific problems causing the worst violence in certain areas. Iā€™d rather focus on that, determine what can be done to attack the source of that crime.

5 Likes

Hope you didnā€™t have anything planned for the day ;o)

1 Like

But @Brainsporeā€™s point is that if you look around at every other developed nation things are different. The US is an extreme outlier and people talk like that is the only way it can be. You gave one option (since the second one was clearly not an option), that being education on responsible gun ownership. I donā€™t understand why you think that would work.

You think that telling people that the safest thing is to not own a gun canā€™t work, but telling people that the safest thing is to store their guns in a particular way can? If the people you are speaking too are immune to facts, why would they listen to your facts?

Maybe the desire to kill other human beings is so deeply baked into US culture that there actually is no solution, but I donā€™t see why education about safe gun ownership is the silver bullet while everything else is doomed to fail. I donā€™t think that people who would shoot into the night at an imagined burglar are going to suddenly become responsible because someone tells them how to be responsible. To me, the real solution is to create a culture where rights come balanced with responsibilities.

If you asked me what the first thing I would do to solve gun violence in the US would be Iā€™d say it would be to prosecute Dick Cheney and George W. Bush for torture. Reversing the American culture of total irresponsibility is the first step. When it is clear that there are actually laws and that people have responsibilities then itā€™s time to have a more sensible discussion about what those responsibilities should be regarding guns. You can have a responsible gun culture whether you have a gun in every house or you can have the only guns in the city be the ones locked in the police armory. America simply does not have a responsible gun (or anything else) culture.

20 Likes

This article is irrelevant.

Even in a hypothetical world where everyone agrees that the statistics clearly show that in most cases, a gun is more likely to accidentally kill someone than to be used successfully in self defense, people will still want guns and will buy guns. The reason is that everyone thinks they are smarter than everyone else. And nobody plans to have an accident.

Each individual gun owner will think ā€œIā€™m more likely to successfully defend myself that the rest of the population is,ā€ and also ā€œI wonā€™t have an accident.ā€

2 Likes

Phase ownership out. When you die, either by your own gun or other causes, your guns must be turned in?

3 Likes

Itā€™s odd that people believe gun ownership doesnā€™t follow the law of supply and demand. If sales are curtailed, the price goes up, and guns end up concentrated in the hands of wealthy collectors. When a gun is worth as much as a motorcycle or a car, or a few mortgage payments, people will give up their guns.

1 Like

Why not phase out manufacture instead? Criminalize the manufacture of new guns, then all thatā€™s left is a dwindling supply of antiques.

1 Like

Iā€™m just glad I got my cardio in this morning.

5 Likes

Then why canā€™t you just leave them at the range, in presumably a much better guarded situation, than lying around your house just waiting for you to forget to lock them down?

4 Likes

False statistics are used by both sides in this debate. I would not defend the assertion that guns are used more often for defense than offense. I donā€™t have any basis. I do know that shooting statistics are often conflated with law enforcement shootings, police kills are often lumped in with the general publicā€™s actions.

On the other hand, defensive firearm use is not often reported while almost every gun assault on someone is. That just makes sense to me. So I do not expect any public health statistics to ever support gun ownership. It doesnā€™t matter to me. I will defend my desire to own firearms. I can point to my 40+ year record of safe handling and ownership, if necessary. No, not everyone should own a firearm, no more than everyone should be allowed to drive on the road with me.

In terms of home safety I view it very much as I view my fire extinguishers. I know exactly one person who had a need to use a fire extinguisher yet I have them placed strategically in my home and garage. I will agree my firearms are more dangerous to children and foolish users than my fire extinguishers but that is why I have them under lock and key (fast-access Gunvault system for one handgun) with no ammunition in the house that is not also under the same locked storage conditions.

2 Likes

Motivation for, or go-to argument forā€¦

The statistic that always jumps out at me is the relative frequency of ā€œhot burglariesā€ ā€“ that is, robberies of the home while residents are at home. These numbers seem to occur at a a rate of almost 5x over the US rate in UK and Australia. Whether or not guns are actively used to defend a house or a person certainly do not reflect the complete deterrent effect of the presence of firearms.

That said, I think Iā€™m more or less with you. My guns are very modest indeed and I see them as a tool I might need under a very limited set of uses (a fire extinguisher is a good example ā€“ I rarely go camping, but I have a water filter with three extra filters. Just in case. I donā€™t eat that much rice, but Iā€™ve got 40 pounds of it in the larder), but Iā€™m not going to give them up under any circumstance.

1 Like

Huh. Wonder why there arenā€™t detailed stats about gun usage in the real world. If only there were an institution well-suited to tracking such things at the national level that could gather such data.

Oh, waitā€¦

2 Likes

I like the fire extinguisher comparison and agree that the two biggest things everyone should fight against in regards to firearm ownership is arrogance and complacency from gun owners.

2 Likes

Actually I think your initial comment poisoned the well by positing ā€œbetter safety trainingā€ and ā€œwholesale slaughter of gun ownersā€ as the only two plausible options for decreasing accidental gun deaths.

You ask for solutions that would work ā€œin the real world,ā€ but you preemptively dismiss approaches that have already worked in other places as ideas from ā€œa fantasy worldā€ with ā€œguaranteed failure.ā€

16 Likes

Kleckā€™s data is garbage, I agree. Thatā€™s not the same thing as proving that guns arenā€™t useful for self defenseā€“something the article doesnā€™t accomplish at all.

Furthermore, a good portion of the accidental firearms deaths are hunting accidentsā€“and I donā€™t think they should count against the value of guns for self defense.

2 Likes