Dell Magazines have changed the Campbell Award to the Astounding Award, removing the name of fascist John W Campbell

The present-day European far right are entirely responsible for their own actions.

The present-day and historical American right are also responsible for their support of those actions.

It isn’t zero-sum. There’s plenty of blame to go around.

7 Likes

You OTOHed in a way that made it sound like you were sticking up for the user who described a literal Nazi as a “little fish” barely worth the effort of opposing.

There’s no OTOH there, specifically. The “other hand” was someone trying to put majority blame for a German born and raised high-ranking Nazi party member on the US. That’s not what you were trying to say, but it would have been better without saying it beside the other user’s comments.

3 Likes

If the post I replied to had contained the “little fish” comment, I would not have replied how I did.

Von Braun should have been hanged at Nuremberg.

5 Likes

Mixed signals. The other user also made a dodgy comment where they talked about maybe voting for the AfD, so better to be clear all round with less confusion…

2 Likes

Wander is correct in that many of Nazi Germany’s fascist ideas were originally inspired by American ones.

But Nazi Germany’s genocidal ‘sins’ are still their own, just as all the US’s are still ours.

No nation’s hands are ‘clean’ when it comes to having a bloody, inhumane history.

You and Tuhu are both correct that the timing and the juxtapositioning of the comment could be readily misinterpreted, or taken as that “both sides” bullshit, if one was unfamiliar with Wanderfound’s long-standing POV on human rights and equality.

13 Likes

5 Likes

Hey, I never said it was a good argument, but it is certainly one that has been made. For those living in the 1800’s. By the time Campbell was writing, no, not at all.

4 Likes

Gimme a “T!”

Imgur

5 Likes

7 Likes

I thought scifi was toxic to fascists. The things you learn.

3 Likes

Not if we want to stay out of court, we don’t…

4 Likes

The annual Chinny Award?

4 Likes

The last time Scientology sued anyone over a publication was Time Magazine in 1991. These days, Scientology is more the sue-ee rather than the sue-er.

The only field that Hubbard was out standing in:

Stop%20and%20Smell%20the%20Roses

11 Likes

Sure. It’s important to remember that there was never a point when there weren’t people providing counter-arguments, too. The whole “they didn’t know better, because it was just the times” really doesn’t fly when there was very much people who were opposed to it, and making seriously legal and intellectual arguments against such things.

10 Likes

If you’re holding up “mission earth” as anything approaching “very good science fiction,” then I have to question your sentience.

9 Likes

Out of morbid curiosity, I’ve tried reading one book of that series, can’t remember which one, at a summer cabin of a distant relative, that was well stocked with all sorts of mostly-forgotten paperbacks from the '70s.

It was some of the worst writing I have encountered, and I read a lot of fanfiction. There is no excuse for it to have been published, when vastly better writers’ more interesting stories have difficulties in that. I’m absolutely 100% sure that its bestseller status is purely due to CoS organizing a book-buying campaing to push it up the lists.

5 Likes

Yesindeedy to your post.

As someone who worked for this particular publishing company as their forum administrator years ago, I recall being floored by the toxicity that existed in some dank, dark corners of the scifi related ones.

Good on them for the rename.

7 Likes

Rule of Goats.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.