University of Kansas's Campbell Conference changes its name to the Gunn Center Conference

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/09/06/overdue-reassessment.html

5 Likes

This is great news!

clapping-quark

13 Likes

How long before the next white male Campbell apologist shows up to whinge about this decision? In the last topic, it only took 2 hours.

14 Likes

Not long now, I’m sure…

11 Likes

How long before some semiliterate objects to the new name because guns are evil?

Gunn is a common name. Ben Gunn is the pirate marooned on Treasure Island by Long John Silver. A Gunn in Red River had an expectation of marriage to my grrat, great grandmother Henrietta, which would have been great since then I’d be a Gunn like in the book. But she didn’t see things the same way, and she married a newcomer, a Black, which offered the locals a chance to make negative comments about my family, “those Blacks”, which did have racist overtones, but not because of black skin.

I think one of her siblings eventually married a Gunn, a different one, I’ve seen the name in the family tree.

3 Likes

Indeed!

7 Likes

Don’t know. But if that guy is from Lawrence, the chance of him being white is pretty high, considering that more than 80% of its population is. Though, as you might imagine, the college town is pretty progressive–ultra progressive by Midwestern standards. Case in point, Lawrence is the seat of Douglas County, which was one of two Kansas counties to vote Obama in both elections 2008 and 2012. All right, I understand, it’s not all radicals and rainbows. KU still has that building named after the one-time contender, Bob Dole.

3 Likes

Campbell having an award named after him is a social and a biological impossibility.

3 Likes

I assume this James Gunn isn’t the guy who directed the Guardians of the Galaxy movies, right?

Though if the wingnuts connect the two Gunns, they’ll probably still get mad, 'cause they all hate James Gunn these days…

1 Like

not all Campbells! Ha. Wait do you mean an apologist for people named Campbell in general or apologist for this specific Campbell? Ha.

6 Likes

This specific one – John W. We’re cool with you, man.

4 Likes

sorry, yeah obviously I don’t care. F that guy. this sounds like progress.

5 Likes

James E. Gunn (writer)

4 Likes

1 Like

Hi typing here from Caithness in Scotland home of the Clan Gunn. Nice to see we are still getting one over Clan Campbell in the twenty first century! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

12 Likes

the other topic had his full name in the title, and the word fascist

this one won’t score so high in the google alerts

4 Likes

I know that. But the world is full of idiots and SJW fanatics who can and will misinterpret anything.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.