Delta Airlines wants a national no-fly list for unruly passengers

That seems to be the only way to get some people’s attention.
Even then, in some cases, that’s not enough.

According to the article, they have to be convicted of disrupting a flight.

In additon to the photo, include a complete description of the person, so innocent others aren’t abused.

I would prefer a public list shared amongst the airlines, instead of getting the Gov’t involved; maybe something like a 5 year ban, with 10 years probation afterwards.
Fuck up again & it’s a ban for life.
No appeal, either… they’ve already been convicted in court.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t this have even more problems with transparency, oversight, and an appeals process?

2 Likes

truthout.org recently wrote about a connection between right wing dark money and parents who protest teaching racism in schools.
Call me cynical but I would in no way be surprised if a portion of these mid-air protests aren’t being funded from the right as well. It makes no sense from a practical standpoint to invest in a flight ticket with the purported intent of traveling somewhere, and then deciding to either get the airplane turned around or spend a night or two in prison over the minor discomfort of keeping your face covered.
As such I don’t think that Delta has much of a chance of getting these paid tantrum throwers banned from flying.

Am I missing something here, or does this seem like Delta either making a huge fuss over a relatively trivial task or just looking to pass the buck?

Convictions for aviation-related offenses are pretty much always for a few specific federal crimes that aren’t terribly useful in non-aviation contexts; and are typically public records unless specifically sealed or purged for some reason.

Are they doing all this posturing just in the hopes of saving a few bucks on PACER; or is the objective just to be able to make all disputes someone else’s problem by being able to say that Delta didn’t do any of the research; and you can go tilt at windmills against the DoJ if you wish to claim that you were denied service in error?

It just seems weird given Delta, along with their competitors who would also be interested in such a list, all have massive list-tracking capabilities given that you don’t have a hope of delivering passengers and cargo at a profit without those, have a built-in advantage in tracking convictions for flight disruptions given that they are the ones operating the flights getting disrupted and (presumably) aware of which passenger ends up getting dragged off for possible conviction; and all have access to the records(or their choice of vendors to access the records for them; I assume you don’t run a 90,000 employee company without having someone around who knows how to get a background check run); yet they are still posturing at the DoJ rather than just putting together the dataset they say they want; which could likely have been finished by now if they just decided to knock it together under the aegis of some commercial aviation trade group.

Am I underestimating the difficultly of actually getting the data? Is it just about not wanting to be on the hook in the event of an error? Are airlines regulated in some way that makes it much more difficult for them to deny service without a specific no-fly list? Does Ed Bastian care a lot about violence against flight crews; but not quite enough to risk losing some of the asshole market to carriers with lower standards, and so is unwilling to act without a federal mandate that will enforce the same standards across the industry?

Normally when an industry wants a blacklist they just make it happen, in some cases even when it’s explicitly illegal, rather than whining fecklessly about it month in and month out; so I feel like I’m missing something here.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.