Derails about the narrative of bans for dissenting opinions

Those are your words, not mine.

People get banned here for being hateful trollies, for derailing threads with extraneous bullshit, and various other offenses, but not for failing to hew to the party line. That’s all in your imagination.

There are various longstanding community members who can be relied upon to provide a vigorous counterpoint to the prevailing, decidedly liberal and anti-authoritarian slant at BoingBoing. You would know that if you followed and/or commented in any but the three two you’ve joined.

@W96 is a great example of someone who had one thing to say, created an account to say it, posted in the single thread where he could express his message, and will never be heard from again.

I’m really suspicious of stunt accounts, because the creator rarely wants to engage in actual discourse, only to spew some provocative words and then sit back and enjoy the lulz as people make the mistake of engaging with them.

But I would really love to see some examples, with which you must surely be familiar, of users whose accounts are banned for disagreeing with the powers that be.

Can you provide some usernames so we can look at your hypothesis? Or does your view not stand up to scrutiny?

8 Likes