Design suggestion box

I eventually had thought of that, too, but only after awesomerobot had agreed to my initial suggestion.

Making the row clickable is a better solution, but I cannot fathom the objection to right-alignment. I don’t think I’m OCD but I am particular about certain things. Ah, well; I’m also left-handed. The whole world is already backwards to me. Making each row clickable will really help that topic list menu next to it–there’s a lot of empty space to wade through in that one.

so, ah… what’s the deal with the R?

For the “Invite Friends” bit - possible to add Twitter? LinkedIn?

You can use Share (the chain link button) for that.

Invite is intended for email, since it mails a single use link that lets people reply to a topic immediately without registering.

Note that people you invite are permanently attached to your account under the “Invites” tab so… invite wisely. :grinning:

Ahhhh … thanks! Yes, unfortunately, invite wisely!

Ooo! ooo! I have a request/suggestion! Plz to make it so that when I click on the comments on an article on the main page that I have already read, it takes me to the last comment I had previously seen, same as it does from the BBS page? Cos as it is now, if I see there’s been more kibitzing from the peanut gallery, I have to click on another article’s comments, then go to the BBS, THEN click on the article I want to get to the last read bit. You feel me?

what are you still using the main page for? you can use the script @gwwar wrote to read the posts straight from the bbs pages.

I put it into greasemonkey so I don’t even have to load it as a bookmarklet. haven’t been to the main page since the day she posted it.

anyway, maybe you like the main page, but using the script eliminates your problem

Helvetica? is this permanent?

2 Likes

Might be as @beschizza changed it?

It should be Proxima Nova, to match the homepage of BB (the serif font was from our previous design), but Something Went Awry. As I think we’re not properly licensed for Prox anyway (our typekit subscription is expired but they’re apparently still serving), I plan on switching both to Open Sans (or another well-heeled, readable sans-serif) ASAP.

2 Likes

Just FYI for everyone, I did reset fonts here to defaults (size in particular) while we are working out specifics.

I don’t fully understand what you and Rob are talking about, but at what point should I hit up gwwar to fix the script i use that broke from the last series of changes? it’s the designation of new that did it, not the fonts, right?

I don’t think that you need that script anymore - I think that the article preview function has been built into the bbs for quite a while now.

ya, but it’s still a lot of click thru, especially since video embeds don’t work with the “load full post” button

4 Likes

(1) it should work with the usual internet connections with the usual flickers and random disconnections.

(2) it should allow users to find the reply/post they were interested in, so it shouldn’t use endless scrolling. it could use separate pages.

(3) it should make it easy to avoid video, noise, etc. especially painful video, noise, “hey this is an interesting illusion with these flashing lights, I’ll show it to everyone,” etc.

1 Like

hi again!

I was hoping to sway y’all into modifying the button for hide or show the composer panel . specifically for “hide”. with “show,” I can click anywhere in the grey bar to expand (yay!) but when I want to hide it, I already have my cursor somewhere on the left because I put it there to type, and now I have to mouse over all the way to a tiny spot at furthest right to collapse (boo!) it’s confusing because it works the way I want one way but not the other and it’s… kind of a drag, man. like, counter-intuitive : (

come to think of it, moving the button to somewhere above the compose window would be fine, but I’d really rather be able to click anywhere grey to hide so it functions the same as expand, though I’m guessing the presence of multiple buttons within that space breaks that possibility?

this is essentially the same argument I made about the buttons in the menus under the top-right icons earlier in this same thread. extending the length of the ˇbutton across as much of the blank grey space as possible would be much more user-friendly. but again, if possible, the best would be a click anywhere grey will hide the composer panel.

this should help towards the goal of getting folks to reply to everyone in the thread with one post, which is usually accompanied by multiple expansions/collapses of the composer panel. this is when I find myself getting really annoyed for not being allowed to just quickly click anywhere grey so I can find some text I want to quote or simply get back to the thread and continue participating.

:^) thanks.

⇒20 days later

…anyone?

for typing all that out, can I at least get a “No, Noah, that idea sucks, we aren’t going to do that”
?

1 Like

Sorrrrry

I worry that making it super easy to hide the composer panel would be very much a problem causing accidental panel closes all around.

I think a better approach here is adding a keyboard shortcut.

hide composer panel (CTRL- m)

Tricky thing is that the intuative shortcut CTRL-h is already taken.

cc @codinghorror

Well, I do agree the down collapse editor chevron should have a bit more padding. So that’s… something… we can agree on here?

1 Like

cmd-m makes my browser window swoosh down onto my dock on my mac :(

ya.

that oughta do 'er.

You can use Esc, which will collapse if you have a draft and close if the composer is empty.

2 Likes