Design suggestion box

@chenille and @technogeekagain you can read my thoughts on that here

http://meta.discourse.org/t/feature-ban-reason-text-field/6752/14?u=codinghorror

I like the use of ā€œnukedā€ and ā€œsuspendedā€ in your explanations, rather than ā€œbannedā€ which clearly has variable interpretations. Youā€™re ā€œnukingā€ spammers and ā€œsuspendingā€ users, itā€™s a great distinction.

1 Like

I generally agree with what you say there. I had forgotten about trust levels coloring user names, and was essentially suggesting the second half of this:

So for those community members that get curious about what happened to Bill, they can start a meta topic about it, or click on his user page to see the same public ban information (a brief sentence, plus duration) Bill himself can.

That seems particularly important since without it, it may even be hard to know if Billā€™s absence is worth asking about. If the info on the user page is already implemented, itā€™s not somewhere I found noticeable; even PM still seems to work on people I assume canā€™t get them.

hey, cool! my CSS to gray the pure white works now!

annnnndddd, youā€™ve swicthed it back while Iā€™ve been writing this post. cā€™mon, guys; hook a brother up.

two small things:

can yā€™all align this menu to the right? Iā€™ve already dragged my cursor all the way far right to click the avatar. instead of dragging it back to the left, it would be nice to just swipe down to get at the buttonsā€“itā€™s just a slightly less awkward hand motion. I guess the ā€œlistā€ menu next to it could use that, too, come to think of it.

also, I know they might still be under construction, but the R key command only works if Iā€™m scrolled to the bottom of a thread. whatā€™s the point of having a keybind if I have to go to where the button is anyway?

@beschizzaā€“howā€™s that favicon coming?

2 Likes

Fantastic point. That will be right-aligned soon!

1 Like

I actually donā€™t agree with the change, the mis-alignment / inconsistency is wreaking havoc with my OCD

Less mouse movement > your OCD.

It is aligned, just to the right.

edit: discussing this a bit further we think making the entire row clickable in each ā€œmenuā€ solves both problems. Weā€™ll try thatā€¦

2 Likes

I eventually had thought of that, too, but only after awesomerobot had agreed to my initial suggestion.

Making the row clickable is a better solution, but I cannot fathom the objection to right-alignment. I donā€™t think Iā€™m OCD but I am particular about certain things. Ah, well; Iā€™m also left-handed. The whole world is already backwards to me. Making each row clickable will really help that topic list menu next to itā€“thereā€™s a lot of empty space to wade through in that one.

so, ahā€¦ whatā€™s the deal with the R?

For the ā€œInvite Friendsā€ bit - possible to add Twitter? LinkedIn?

You can use Share (the chain link button) for that.

Invite is intended for email, since it mails a single use link that lets people reply to a topic immediately without registering.

Note that people you invite are permanently attached to your account under the ā€œInvitesā€ tab soā€¦ invite wisely. :grinning:

Ahhhh ā€¦ thanks! Yes, unfortunately, invite wisely!

Ooo! ooo! I have a request/suggestion! Plz to make it so that when I click on the comments on an article on the main page that I have already read, it takes me to the last comment I had previously seen, same as it does from the BBS page? Cos as it is now, if I see thereā€™s been more kibitzing from the peanut gallery, I have to click on another articleā€™s comments, then go to the BBS, THEN click on the article I want to get to the last read bit. You feel me?

what are you still using the main page for? you can use the script @gwwar wrote to read the posts straight from the bbs pages.

I put it into greasemonkey so I donā€™t even have to load it as a bookmarklet. havenā€™t been to the main page since the day she posted it.

anyway, maybe you like the main page, but using the script eliminates your problem

Helvetica? is this permanent?

2 Likes

Might be as @beschizza changed it?

It should be Proxima Nova, to match the homepage of BB (the serif font was from our previous design), but Something Went Awry. As I think weā€™re not properly licensed for Prox anyway (our typekit subscription is expired but theyā€™re apparently still serving), I plan on switching both to Open Sans (or another well-heeled, readable sans-serif) ASAP.

2 Likes

Just FYI for everyone, I did reset fonts here to defaults (size in particular) while we are working out specifics.

I donā€™t fully understand what you and Rob are talking about, but at what point should I hit up gwwar to fix the script i use that broke from the last series of changes? itā€™s the designation of new that did it, not the fonts, right?

I donā€™t think that you need that script anymore - I think that the article preview function has been built into the bbs for quite a while now.