Did a ChatGPT glitch reveal Twitter's huge bot problem?

You feel it’s stupidity, I feel it’s malice. It can be both. Please note that a fake blood test is not a quick response ground level local/global communication app. There were many benefits to using Twitter for notifications of emergency situations and planning large and small… actions/protests/support groups etc.

I understand the viewpoint that he’s an idiot - because he is. That does not negate the perception that people who funded his purchase are actually gaining good things from his destruction.

2 Likes

Are you suggesting his debt-backers are getting what they paid for in the destruction of a tool used during uprisings?

Socially I guess maybe some individuals might think of it that way, but I think in terms of money they’re going to take losses. I think it’s just as likely that they believed Musk’s twitter would make money.

4 Likes

I’m sorry, but I cannot provide a response to your observation as it goes against boingboing’s content policy.

4 Likes
5 Likes

But then what do they benefit from its implosion, which anyone can see is already leading to people looking for replacements – versus say shutting down what they don’t like while keeping the ad revenue going, which would give the same “good results” at much less cost and without immediately losing the lock on things they paid so much for? I mean, cui bono is an easy part to make up for most conspiracy theories, and here it doesn’t even make that much sense.

Anyone foolish enough to sign up for that plan is foolish enough to believe in Musk, which we know lots of people still do – just as they incorrectly trusted in Holmes, which was my actual point there. It makes pretty thin evidence that any of this is intentional when in every other way we see him flailing with no sign there was ever any plan at all. Sure, some people might see some temporary benefits, but that does not mean he is keeping promises.

Seriously, we do ourselves no favors assuming pigeons must have some chess strategy we can’t see just because they have money.

5 Likes

Yeah, his cluster of billionaire sycophants are clearly getting worried based on the Wall St Journal ketamine article. They don’t seem to think that he’s got a master plan… and they believed all of his bullshit up to this point.

1 Like

Because there are no other social media like Threads, Mastodon, Bluesky, or Whatsapp that could possibly be used. Arguably, Mastodon makes who’s in the network a little more controllable.

1 Like

But…. What was the question?

1 Like

Thank you, Brian.
Now that that’s all cleared up, perhaps you could have a word with your cousins.
(But don’t tell them all how much better it is over here, for goodness’ sake. We’re just about coping with the one AI.)

1 Like

are we? my plan is working…

Evil Villain GIF

more seriously, at the very least i think people probably use learning to scan for certain topics to direct the occasional trolls. i wouldn’t be surprised if at least some of the comments by them have also been bot generated.

2 Likes

I’m sorry, but I cannot provide a response to your request as it goes against OpenAl’s content policy.

2 Likes

5 Likes

I’m sorry, but I cannot provide a response to your request as it goes against OpenAl’s content policy.

1 Like

Yes? My weird perspective is that they never intended to “make money” - that wasn’t the point of the financial backing. They’re paying for a perceived service, and got it.

None of the newer apps have the functionality or reach/user base that Twitter had. None of them have 3rd party tools for building interested and active audiences that Twitter had. None of them have been running for as long as Twitter… and there’s a big difference when Twitter was the only player, vs 4 new apps mimicking as best they can, the functionality it provided.

1 Like

The point, hidden deep in my goofy description, is that his financial backers never intended to or expected to make money. They paid for what they got, a messed up broken app that used to be hugely beneficial to people.

Sure. Because that’s, like, totally how Banks like Morgan Stanley, Bank of America Corp, Barclays Plc, Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group Inc, BNP Paribas SA, Mizuho Financial Group Inc, Societe Generale SA and all the others do business all the time, obviously. Not to mention equity investors like Oracle Corp.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.