"Die and go to hell, mother*****er!": Utah Assistant Attorney General's email to city council member who woke him from a nap

A Jack Mormon no doubt…

6 Likes

The assistant attorneys name seems to derive from the old german word “Wüterich” meaning someone who is going beserk all too fast, an “angerist”

13 Likes

Oh mein, ja das ist fantastisch!

7 Likes

This sounds like a definition concerning the kinds of solicitation that a government can ban, not the kind of definition that appeals to people with a no solicitation sign.

(It really seems like a bad idea to go knocking on one of those doors unless you like to bias voters against your cause.)

11 Likes

2 Likes

Who cares what his sign said? He could have ignored the knock at the door and gone back to sleep. Or said “leave” and go back to sleep. Instead this idiot went on an near racist rant, in email, using professional channels, while making a threat.

No. You don’t get to “go off” like that for any reason. Even children get scolded for this kind of behavior and as an adult this fucker AG has power, so it’s pushing a racist tilt.

I see no reason to defend the guy. If he even remotely behaves this way on the job (most assholes are still assholes at work or at home) he should be let go IMO. He is not an impartial agent of the law.

14 Likes

I once lived blissfully without a doorbell for five years and have long ignored people I didn’t know who could plainly see me through the screen door. I’ve never found a sign reading NEVER RING THIS GODDAMN BELL.”, and nobody takes my “Kindly Go Away” doormat seriously.

If I had a “No Solicitation” sign posted, you bet your ass it would apply here. They are, after all, soliciting my support, my opinion, my conversation, my vote, my time, or my money. I wouldn’t have put my complaint in an email, though: they would have heard it first-hand. The city might have heard about it later, though.

Last spring, I recognized a city councilwoman at my door (a rabid Trump supporter, though her Facebook page had been throughly scrubbed clean after January 6th) who asked if she could count on my vote, and I literally told her “I’ve read your twitter feed. There is no way in Hell I will ever support you being in office. Any office. Anywhere. Thanks for dropping by, but don’t ever come here again.” before I quietly closed the door.

4 Likes

Not to defend him either, but I was impressed that he gave an actual apology where he took responsibility for his own actions.

I was very much expecting something along the lines of “I’m sorry if anyone got offened”

6 Likes

Y’all gotta live in the country, when someone comes by it’s like a celebration. Been like a year since the door bell was rung, it works too.

7 Likes

Not just government, but also apartment landlords acting as gatekeepers.

If you own your own home on your own property, it is a different situation and you can ban anyone, but I’d think that just posting “No solicitors” is not clear because of how many different ways that term is used, you’d need to be a bit more specific.

1 Like

No solicitors means:

If I didn’t ask you to come
And
If this isn’t an emegency
Then
I DO NOT WANT TO SEE YOU

7 Likes

I’m a big fan of clear, unambiguous communications. You should just write that description of what you mean instead of “no solicitors” given that “solicitation” has multiple meanings.

4 Likes

i mean, this is how i feel when i’m woken from a nap, but i’d never let the person at the door KNOW that, because i’m apparently a considerate guy.

7 Likes

For the record, I never defended this person nor have I seen evidence that he had such a sign. (Did I miss it?)

In light of this being a conversation about disproportionate response, would you like to make your comment not be addressed to me?

The dictionary definition of “solicit” is “to approach with a request”.

It has nothing to do with selling anything.

And you’d think that anyone seeing the sign would get the hint that they do not want to be disturbed.

That said, the guy’s reaction was unprofessional and uncalled for.

8 Likes

Exactly. I’d never open the door to discover why someone woke me up, either - for the safety of all concerned…

6 Likes

Look, I can either cover my door with a collection of signs with such diverse language that even lawyers would be impressed at my attempts to anticipate every such loophole and contingency (and look like the neighborhood “that person” in the process), or I can just put up a “No Soliciting” sign and hope that my fellow humans will honor the spirit of such a sign.

Alternately, one big sign that says: “Fuck Off! Go Away! Die Already!”, but that doesn’t seem very neighborly.

3 Likes

Maybe a combination of a foam knock-proof door and omitting a doorbell would help? :thinking:

2 Likes

This whole state is built on door-to-door religious evangelizing.

6 Likes

Just wait, someone’s going to argue they can legally get around a “No Solicitation” posting by not saying “Greetings!” at the beginning of their spiel.

How about “No unsolicited commercial, religious, social, athletic, arborological, educational, or aetiological communication of any kind without an appointment. Physical and/or sexual solicitation might be considered - following a suitable period of quarantine, numerous medical/psychological investigations, and the requisite application of all appropriate legal, medical and prophylactic precautions.”

3 Likes