"Die and go to hell, mother*****er!": Utah Assistant Attorney General's email to city council member who woke him from a nap

Alternately, one big sign that says: “Fuck Off! Go Away! Die Already!”, but that doesn’t seem very neighborly.

Frankly, my neighbors would die laughing and beg me to tell them where I got it.

4 Likes

Urban vs rural political canvassing is like urban vs rural broadband.

In rural areas it never worth it to door to door canvas for the same reason they never get fiber internet or solid cell phone coverage. In urban areas ten people and a van can wake up hundreds of naps/interrupting the Netflix binge on 4k on fiber.

I have voted for this dude who actually knocked on my door in Heber City Utah years ago and that prick won and is now dug in like a tick. I can’t vote him back out because I moved. I own that mistake.

Also so many Mormons are raised to door knock on missions to evangelize that it is special naughty to be so rude to the poor sincere kids in Utah/Idaho/Wyoming.

1 Like

This is truly crazy, but why does this post refer to them as “colleagues”? The linked NBC article doesn’t say that.

What he said

1 Like

Nope. Soliciting means seeking something from the home owner. Selling magazine subscriptions or vacuum cleaners door-to-door is soliciting. Offering free campaign information, Bible literature or flyers seeking a lost dog is not soliciting. Darin Mano was absolutely within his rights.

And yet is still a total asshole for purposely ignoring another person’s clear wishes.

4 Likes

I had my doorbell ring the other day and did not answer because it was Amazon. I don’t order from Amazon. This guy is just a partisan dick.

1 Like

Begging someone to vote for you, or asking someone to change religions isn’t making a request?

2 Likes

Not according to the First Amendment.

Which constrains the actions of the government itself, not individual citizens acting in any individual capacity.

5 Likes

The first amendment doesn’t have anything to do with this.

There’s no first amendment right to someone else’s attention, my doorstep isn’t the public square but my personal and private property.

5 Likes

Fair enough. Politicians, religious zealots and people looking for lost dogs are still within their legal rights and not violating anything by talking to a home owner and/or offering free literature.

Would a “no trespassing” sign cover all interlopers?

4 Likes

Mummy needs to send him to bed, with no pudding!

1 Like

Yes it would.

2 Likes

Electing dog-catchers is how you politicize the catching of dogs. Dog-catchers should be appointed by the city manager or mayor, subject to removal by a recall petition or civilian review board. And ideally that board would have owned and stray dogs among its members.

3 Likes

If “We won’t contact people who say they don’t want to be contacted because the intrusion would make us look bad” were a thing, there would be no motivation for cold calls, TV ads, or most junk mail.

If there were no legal teeth behind direct mail preferences and do not call lists, they would just serve as leads.

Of all the annoying contacts that I would love to stop, political speech is at the bottom of my list.

1 Like

Not totally defending the sleepyhead, but many of us exist for whom going back to sleep once woken is not usually an option. I am not an ‘insomniac’ in the sense of having trouble getting to sleep and staying that way at night if left the fuck alone, but if you wake me after about 5 hrs at night and at any time whatsoever during an attempt at a nap, it’s over and I have to suffer the exhaustion and grogginess and mild headache until at least the next day.

3 Likes

Yeah chiming in with the crowd who lost a certain amount of sympathy over the no soliciting situation. While it might be technically correct that campaigning isn’t soliciting, he saw a clear indication his intrusion wasn’t wanted and consciously elected to ignore it.

2 Likes

Or, “If I don’t know you, lets keep it that way.”

3 Likes