Diego Luna shares a touching post about the importance of his Rogue One accent

There’s a post I saw the other day that reads “I still can’t think of a single heterosexual reason for Poe to bite his lip like that when he sees Finn wearing his jacket.”

11 Likes

I’m still certain that Count Adhemar had the hots for William Thatcher in “Knight’s Tale”. I liked that it wasn’t spelt out either way.

1 Like

Despite the film being a horrible shaky-cam-fest, I was aware of the film “The Kingdom” being a bit of a shift in mainstream media representation. The hero was a black guy and the noble sidekick was an Arabic guy.

I’m honestly not bagging on you for doing it, don’t get me wrong, but I thought I’d chime in, too. :wink: It bothers me that people do it because of the prissy way C-3P0 acts, and because of the way Anthony Daniels sounds when he talks. I honestly know nothing about Daniels’ sexuality, but I do know how a lot of people act when a guy’s behavior isn’t 100% in line with how a Straight Dude is “supposed” to act. Heteronormative roles, man.

1 Like

I don’t want to take anything away from people who see this as a wonderful thing, but it’s the traditional toxic hetero roles that bother me about this: because they show affection and empathy, they’re obviously gay. It’s the same reason I heard from people who didn’t like the Lord of the Rings movies, because they thought the characters acted gay (the men cried, they cared about each other, etc.)

1 Like

See, but that’s what I’m saying. I didn’t assume they were a couple for the whole film. I assumed they were buddies. If was only at the end that I changed my mind.

4 Likes

The funny thing is, to my ear he sounds like he actually worked hard to minimize his accent quite a bit. I’m glad Disney cast him knowing he would have an accent.

From what he’s said, Anthony Daniels’ voice for C-3PO came because he thought he should be prissy, tense, and flustered. I’ve heard him do voice work for other characters that’s much different from Threepio, so it was a deliberate choice, and worked brilliantly to create a memorable character that’s a perfect foil for R2. The old joke of him being the token gay character in Star Wars goes waaaay back; I shouldn’t have rehashed it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.