"Discard Studies" argues that "social, political, and economic systems maintain power by discarding certain people, places, and things"

Originally published at: "Discard Studies" argues that "social, political, and economic systems maintain power by discarding certain people, places, and things" | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Happens immediately I click the link.

ETA that’s from the “here” link. The “Discard Studies” link seems to work, for anyone else finding the same.

@JenniferSandlin (oh - that does not work, does it) the ‘here’ link seems to go somewhere else entirely but once at the book page, THAT link to a PDF does work. :man_shrugging:

This is highly relevant to my interests, thank you.

2 Likes

Now, that is an interesting and revealing statistic isn’t it? Once again, this is a case of us thinking the problem is our individualized over consumption, but in reality, industrial production seems to be a much larger problem demanding a government regulatory solution…

Thanks, @LowlyWorm2022… I’m gonna give this look!

13 Likes

I kept getting a message saying “Your session has timed out. Please go back to the article page and click the PDF link again.” when I clicked on the link for the book.

I found it here Discard StudiesWasting, Systems, and Power | Books Gateway | MIT Press

3 Likes

yeah, i’m curious to read some more.

is industrial waste our product too, just one we don’t see when we buy things? or is it externalized cost, an excess that keeps corporate profit high?

( i do also assume it’s the latter. if only because that always seems to be the case. plastics in particular come to mind. )

2 Likes

This dark concept comes to mind.

3 Likes

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.