Discover the hilariously epic failure of a crypto-fueled libertarian cruise

Any marina, anywhere…

8 Likes

Even that doesn’t ever really work over time. Once parents are too old to do work and children are old enough to have families of their own, it all breaks down. Families require outside input to keep a labor force going over time. Otherwise, you have a lot of inbred mutants.

9 Likes

They’ll be OK as long as some mysterious mariner comes by every so often with a jar of dirt to barter.

P00254c

18 Likes

Also nepotism is usually fairly frowned upon as a means of leadership selection…a point somehow lost on small-farm advocates and wealthy parent-of-failsons out there…

7 Likes

Used to be good at. These days people like these techbros (minus the wealth) seem to be the rule, not the exception. I have zero hope of seeing any kind of significant progress or improvements ever again within my lifetime.

3 Likes

e5029c2d31509134c161cc6b57c639fb

12 Likes

So let me get this straight. These hyper-individualists were living on board a large ship on the open ocean, which is arguably one of the most the most team and labor intensive settings there is?

That math checks out.

24 Likes

5,000 years of sailors across every human culture: ships must be run with strict discipline and universal adherence to rules, or everyone will die.

These fuckin’ guys: I can cut a window in my cabin near the waterline if I want to.

30 Likes

Well, my ancestors were in farming communities in Texas, and they still had their get-togethers and church to get out and find people to marry to keep the mutants at bay.

But yes, this model wouldn’t work over time. The eldest might take over the main farm, but then the other kids would have to stake their own land or carve up the initial plot. There was a massive, unexplored “West” the kids could stake their own claim to when Jefferson was alive. Obviously that had it’s limits. The industrial revolution made it so this model was completely obsolete.

4 Likes

Definitely. “Engineer’s Disease” is a term used to describe a certain type of guy (almost always a male) who thinks because he’s an engineer he can solve any problem, including social ones.

At one point these tech geniuses thought they could swap out the engine by cutting a hole in the hull while the vessel was still afloat.

ETA: adding this evergreen about Libertarian paradise schemes:

19 Likes

“Libertarians exit, pursued by international maritime law.”

19 Likes

I’ve always wanted to live out my remaining days in one of these.

7 Likes

Staring into your neighbors’ very close windows and knowing they’re staring into yours?

14 Likes
4 Likes

I don’t see the room in their pods or ship for the huge crypto-farm needed to keep this operation profitable, nor where the power is going to come from. Also, all that electronics so close to water and salt…

Good luck getting their nautical HOA to pay for the needed upkeep and repairs to keep them afloat.

11 Likes

I saw the headline and was afraid they tried to take over The World :relieved::

8 Likes

True. We do. But physicists are worse!

9 Likes

I am reminded of this comic. It’s about a different type of lottery winner as a joke…but it really does apply to these kinds of projects, doesn’t it?

“He who is unable to live in society, or who has no need because he is sufficient for himself, must be either a beast or a god.” -Aristotle, back in the 300s BC.

A lot of these people think they are gods, though to be fair that’s unfortunately also how a lot of other people treat them.

20 Likes

Yup. Some of them are called navies.

8 Likes

It’s the concept of the “Social Contract” (in a working Democracy) that they don’t understand.

6 Likes