Disemvoweling vs. Flagging

I was just wrong.

Disqus wasn’t sucky because it was threaded (threaded is fine, it’s just a choice). Disqus was sucky for a wide variety of reasons. It was a buffet of badness.

6 Likes

Gotcha. And yeah, I find myself in agreement.

Because we all know that when a post was deleted, somebody unambiguously broke a rule.

I apparently got a post modded-down in the past few months. I got an email about it, so I thought I’d edit the post to make it less ranty, as that was probably the problem. Only… the post was gone. poof! Couldn’t find it back! who knows. Not me!

There was also kinda-sorta boingboing.tribe.net – while never an official system, for a while it served us when the comments were removed entirely.

http://boingboing.net/2003/10/07/tribenet-boingboing.html and http://boingboing.tribe.net/

With the slow death of tribe, boingboing.tribe.net turned into something of a personal playground for me for a while…

3 Likes

I’ve probably had a dozen posts mysteriously poofed at this point. I think I am most proud of the one where I egregiously offended a major car company.

3 Likes

I do wish there was a better feedback cycle for deleted posts.

There is the other feedback cycle, where a post is flagged to threshold (mods can trigger this) but it can be complicated – can the post be fixed through an edit? Sometimes it’s easier to just “poof” the post.

But there’s no real feedback on why it was poofed, what was wrong, what you could try again with in the future, etc. Naturally this takes more work than clicking a poof button, which is part of the problem, and can also lead to debates about the right and wrong of poofing in this case… etc etc etc.

I think you can see the paradox here. I don’t have a good answer (opinions welcome, if they propose workable solutions). Bottom line if you participate on BBS you have to be OK with an occasional post of yours going poof for… reasons.

1 Like

Blogs are like restaurants. Blog owners get to decide what’s in there. The less a visitor enjoys what the blog has, the less likely said visitor is to return. Some visitors you want to discourage, some you want to encourage, in order to have a place that meets the needs and desires of you, the owner.

Simple enough in theory, difficult to maintain over time in practice.

2 Likes

W’r n strngrs t lv
Y knw th rls nd s d
fll cmmtmnt’s wht 'm thnkng f
Y wldn’t gt ths frm ny ther gy

jst wnt t tll y hw 'm flng
Gtt mk y ndrstnd

Nvr gnn gv y p, nvr gnn lt y dwn
Nvr gnn rn rnd nd dsrt y
Nvr gnn mk y cr, nvr gnn sy gdby
Nvr gnn tll l nd hrt y

W’v knwn ch thr fr s lng
Yr hrt’s bn chng bt y’r t sh t sy t
nsd w bth knw wht’s bn gng n
W knw th gm nd w’r gnn pl t

nd f y sk m hw 'm frng
Dn’t tll m y’r t blnd t s

Nvr gnn rn rnd nd dsrt y
Nvr gnn tll l nd hrt y

(h gv y p)
(h gv y p)
(h) Nvr gnn gv, nvr gnn gv (gv y p)
(h) Nvr gnn gv, nvr gnn gv (gv y p)

W’v knwn ch thr fr s lng
Yr hrt’s bn achng bt y’r t sh t sy t
nsd w bth knw wht’s bn gng n
W knw th gm nd w’r gnn ply t

jst wnt t tll y hw’m flng
Gtt mk y ndrstnd

Nvr gnn rn rnd nd dsrt y
Nvr gnn tll l nd hrt y

5 Likes

There’s a high-brow tv quiz show in the UK called Only Connect where the object of the final round is to identify a bunch of well know sayings and phrases with the vowels removed and the consonants all squished up together.

If you can find somewhere to view BBC content online, it’s well worth a look.

This topic was automatically closed after 1282 days. New replies are no longer allowed.