Diversity is for show; Harvard study shows Harvard is for rich people

These universities may not of caused all of society’s problems but their recruitment practices are definitely a part of it. There are over 13,000 school districts in the United States, many of which are in economically disadvantaged places, and every one of them has some outstanding, gifted students. Do you think that if elite schools made efforts to recruit the top 0.1% of students from a broad spectrum of economically and geographically diverse school districts that they wouldn’t be able to find enough “top candidates?”

5 Likes

The relationship between who contributes the most to society and who makes the most money is at best a tangential one. More often the people who have the most money are the ones causing the biggest problems for society.

ETA:

Are you saying rich people are genetically predisposed to academic success compared to poor people? That’s some classist, eugenicist bullshit.

4 Likes

Is there a better summary of this study? The linked article goes on about liberal indoctrination and the need for more people from Christian liberal arts colleges. From the numbers cited, I can’t really see the degree of the effect. I suspect that most universities are dominated by kids from household in the top 20% of income (approx $90k). It seems like jumping on the confirmation of what we suspected. Without a baseline we conflate two issues: All colleges and universities favor wealth to some degree and a separate question of how much worse is Harvard. Neither is really answered here, just some random numbers without context (and a link to help a site making arguments about liberal indoctrination).

Just, FYI on the website that @jlw linked to:

https://www.campusreform.org/about

Here is the link in the article to the Atlantic article quote:

And this was linked in the article, too:

:woman_shrugging:

But yes, Campus Reform is a highly problematic site…

4 Likes

You are Elon Musk, and I claim my £5 free Tesla!

4 Likes

Take the £5, that will only burn a hole in your pocket.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.