DJ Joey Negro, who is white, decides to change his stage name

Weird, because the Dutch were really into the slave trade. Wonder how they sort of forgot about that?

I think I’ll stick to calling people their preferred terms. It’s literally the least I can do but it counts.

8 Likes

It’s almost like these automatic apologists for the antisocial and/or bigoted behavior of other White folks are talking out the sides of their necks, or something…

Then flag me, if that’s how you feel, instead of making up fallacious ‘alternative history’ while simultaneously cosplaying ‘Sir Lancelot,’ FFS.

6 Likes

Sure. the dutch were the worst. they/we just used different terminology. There are plenty of words for black people (Or every other minority for that matter) that are offensive over here. And negro (or the dutch/german equivalent) is nowadays in that list as well.

Sure, I try to do that as well. It’s important. I just don’t get the hostility to djbeefburger just for posting some extra context.

Some people apparently read everything through us-vs-them glasses.

ok, now to bed, really this time. nightynight.

1 Like

Some people cannot be gas-lighted and are well aware of who actually stands with them, and who does not.

8 Likes

yes

5 Likes

I grew up then (as did many people here). People KNEW better THEN. Don’t give us that “it was a different time then” because in the scheme of things, it wasn’t that long ago.

8 Likes

Or that it was in Europe.

Or that it “wasn’t intended to be malicious.”

Or…

8 Likes

As I understand through a fellow band member in the ‘Fuck Fucks’ that’s his actual birth name. Because of his contrarian counter culture punk/post punk status he was constantly having to explain it wasn’t an inflammatory stage name.

I remember seeing George Clinton at the Metro in Melbourne in 2002 (one of the best gigs in my life) and the one of the band members was wearing a ‘Fuck Fucks’ T-shirt. The bands hung out together and I expect Freddie had some explaining to do.

1 Like

It meant “black” indeed. When working as an assistant in a photo studio in the early 90’s, the term ‘negro’ was used for flagging/blocking light when setting up a shot. The literal translation “Put a negro to that light” meant to place an object between the light and the lens to avoid flare for example.
It’s difficult to see no negative connotations in this example …

Oh, nearly forgot: A much more common use was when asked to help by someone, the other would reply “Dude, I’m not your negro” as in “Dude, I really don’t want to …” …

1 Like

Oh I also just assumed that it was a stage name too! Funny that.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.