Do multivitamins help your health? New research says nope

It’s worth discussing, it’s just rather off-topic for this thread, as it involves a great deal of politics rather than science.

There’s a quite possibly apocryphal story about the US Navy/Air Force examining damaged fighter planes that returned from battles, then shoring up the areas that were damaged. It was soon realized that they should have been looking at the damage on the planes that didn’t make it back.

2 Likes

That’s why studies don’t usually make blanket statements like “so-and-so does not exist,” they say “this study found no correlation between so and so.”

And leave it to the blog or the local paper or the news aggregator to misinterpret and give it the headline “Scientists conclude so-and-so does not exist”.

I’m already a health food snob. I’m also deficient in zinc, manganese, and several b vitamins. I also like to drink and smoke, which further depletes these vitamins. A good indicator of a poorly made multi is the distinctive bright yellow color in the users urine. LIsten to your body. Take a few on an empty stomach and see how they make you feel. Talk to the people at your local food co-op or Whore Foods- they’ll probably point you toward New Chapter Organics amongst a few others. Like all of NC’s products, “can be taken any time, even on an empty stomach”. And they won’t make you pee neon yellow.

Well no, that bright yellow is just excess riboflavin:

That bright yellow means youre putting a cheaply synthesized “vitamin” through your kidneys and bladder. It means your body could not absorb the so called vitamin. The cheaper the vitamin, the less digestable it will be, generally speaking. Food based vitamins are cultured in a medium such as brown rice or soy, and should incude all of the neccessary cofactors that ensure maximum absorbtion.Chears!

1.50 extra a day? what are you smoking?

I think this is why it sounds wrong.

“The studies they analyzed came from 10 countries, including the United States, Canada and several European nations. The food prices were converted to international dollars and adjusted for inflation.”

It would make way more sense to break this down by region.

Food cost was a problem for us back in New Orleans cooking everything from raw ingredients, making our own way cheaper bread and cereal. Where we are in the Netherlands now, raw food is crazy cheap (only meat is high). The farmers markets here are cheap and easy to get to. Back home they were very inconvenient and more expensive, catering to the foodie crowd. The only good deal was the box o’ stuff where you get whatever they want to give you that month. Which meant we had to put up/ process/ or freeze alot as soon as we got home or we’d waste stuff.

Some places in the US also have great markets but you have to be lucky enough to be able to get to them, and some places just don’t.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.