Which came first? The disease, or the vitamin deficiency?

[Permalink]

Again, duh. But, for those with malabsorption (because of celiac disease, gastric bypass, whatever), taking a supplement makes sense as the low vitamin levels are due to the inability to absorb properly so higher intake should be performed to compensate. Moreover, low vitamin D maternally has some impacts on fetal development that last into preschool age one should not rule out that vitamins might be a good thing for mothers and mothers to be.

I’d agree with that, based on what I know. For instance, my infant daughter is on Vitamin D, at the recommendation of her doctor, because she’s a pale skinned baby in a cold climate in winter and Vitamin D isn’t transferred through breast milk. We call it the “no rickets drops”. (Although, it’s worth pointing out that pregnant women don’t even need all the supplements they’re taking in a pregnancy multivitamin.) But, pop culturally, I don’t think the idea that vast swaths of the adult population don’t really need vitamin supplementation is a “duh”. In fact, lots of people seem to think the opposite.

1 Like

My husband and I are fans of the Great Courses series (ever since our amazing history professor was recruited for them).

On a recent trip we started listening to a course on nutrition:

The teacher does a great job of explaining various popular supplements and the pros and CONS of taking them and what the doses mean.

I do wonder about K2, it seems to be synergistic with D, from what I’ve read, and rather a lot of people are deficient.

For what it’s worth, I have MS and the MS clinic nurse has told me to take 4000 units of vitamin D a day. I id for a while, but haven’t recently. I notice no difference in any symptoms either way.

I also have MS and was born and live in Arizona, even on 5000iu a day my vit D level remains critically low. I’ve been taking it about a year, I see no difference good or bad.

It’s hard for lay people to make sense of conflicting studies and make everyday decisions about nutrition these days.

I guess that’s why I always find myself turning to the fine scientists at…Forbes Magazine.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.