DoJ to Apple: your software is licensed, not sold, so we can force you to decrypt

[Read the post]

2 Likes

Is there anyone at the DOJ that has a sense of perspective and knowledge of the law of unintended consequences? Or are they all too busy with enjoying the exercise of power?

6 Likes

Where does this leave Cyanogen, or anyone using the GPL? It is licensed but it is given away, and it is not explicitly licensed to an individual.

Perhaps Apple should transfer its software assets to an independent trust located in Switzerland which will pay Apple a royalty on every copy sold. Then the DoJ can tell Apple to demand that the Swiss operation co-operate, and the Swiss operation can say ā€œnuts.ā€

5 Likes

I guess if I lease my car they can search that tooā€¦and the bank holds my mortgage so can they give permission to search the bankā€™s property?

14 Likes

Would any company be willing to risk the wrath of it user base by decrypting their data? That basically says that when push comes to shove, the encryption on their device is worthless. I hope that Apple makes a stand here. Even if Tim Cook has to go to jail for a month or two.

4 Likes

And the rest of us has become, in effect, Rifftrax for the worst live-action-role-playing event of the century.

4 Likes

The DOJā€™s argument is compelling to me (not a lawyer).
Apple (et. al) canā€™t have it both ways.

They want to license the software, instead of selling it outright, in order to retain control.
Fine.
DOJ suggests that retaining control means that they can be legally compelled to exert said control.
ie. by retaining ownership, they retain liability.

Yes, the privacy / security implications may be vast. But maybe itā€™s also an incentive for less abusive contracts between software vendors and consumers?

15 Likes

Drawback: ā€œmay be vastā€

Benefit: ā€œmaybe an incentive for less abusive contractsā€

Yeah, sounds like a great tradeoff.

5 Likes

finally, the age of linux on the desktop has arrived! I mean I will really make this argument at work.

5 Likes

Consider the implication behind DOJā€™s argument:
Apple claims they do and do not own the software, simultaneously.

Either itā€™s a ā€œlicenseā€, Apple owns the software, and Apple can be held liable.
Or the entire ā€œlicenseā€ apparatus is legalistically hogwash.

To me it seems like an important legal question to be answered.

8 Likes

Iā€™m kinda with the DOJ on this one. Iā€™m tired of being granted a license things that I have to pay for instead of owning them. Iā€™m sick of being told itā€™s a crime to alter something I paid for because itā€™s not really mine. The first sale doctrine is a good idea and one I would like to apply to my ā€˜licensedā€™ content.
Iā€™m old enough to remember buying software before the Microsoft license only model became popular and Iā€™ve always hated that shift towards non-ownership. Perhaps the unintended consequences might be a good thing. If the licensor doesnā€™t want to be responsible for my copy, maybe they should just sell it to me and let me do with it as I please.

9 Likes

Strong crypto moots the question.

2 Likes

Umm, donā€™t we already know that they do this all the time?

3 Likes

No, it doesnā€™t make sense to meā€¦

Itā€™s not the software theyā€™re being asked to decrypt, but the userā€™s data. It doesnā€™t matter whether Iā€™ve borrowed your camera to take a photo; the photo is mine, not yours (in a copyright sense). The userā€™s data does not become property of the software licensor. Otherwise, every Word document ever madeā€¦ Including the DoJā€™sā€¦

Of course, for services like iCloud, what you say is true. In this case though, theyā€™re talking about a physical phone, not a service. So, the whole line of argument doesnā€™t make sense to me.

8 Likes

Well weā€™ve wanted to eliminate EULAā€™s for a long time, but I was hoping when it happened it would be to the betterment of allā€¦ not because the government wants help stealing my password.

7 Likes

Wonā€™t matter. Weā€™ll all still have to use IE at work, even if they have to run it through fucking WINE. You know this.

1 Like

I havenā€™t had to use IE at work since the end of 2009.

1 Like

Fucking hell.

TELL ME YOUR SECRET PLEASE

7 Likes

Is that a rhetorical question? Why would you go work for the DOJ if amassing and abusing power wasnā€™t your most important goal in life?

People still use IE? I donā€™t even think Iā€™m allowed to have IE on my work computer. Standard is Chrome, and Firefox is acceptable.

3 Likes