Donate to the EFF, get a warm fuzzy feeling and the satisfaction of helping smash stupid patents, legislation and lawsuits

Originally published at: Donate to the EFF, get a warm fuzzy feeling and the satisfaction of helping smash stupid patents, legislation and lawsuits | Boing Boing

4 Likes

On August 3 of this year, my legal first name actually became “Eff.” No, it was not in honor of the Electronic Frontier Foundation, it’s the phonetic pronunciation of the first letter of my deadname, but I was amused when someone pointed out the overlap. I have unfortunately let my membership lapse sometime in the last few years, but I probably should renew. Mostly because of professional interest, but also for the amusement value of getting messages to “Dear Eff” from the EFF.

6 Likes

Hey, we have the same birthday!

4 Likes

I’m still trying to decide how to treat that. Do I now have two birthdays? I don’t have any negative feelings towards my original date and would probably actually have a more difficult time updating the $BirthDate value in my brain than I did with $FirstName. I absolutely will be celebrating the new name date, of course, and if that gives me two days to celebrate, I’m not complaining. I’ll take those days where I find them!

At any rate, precedent has already been established. A recently acquired (at the time) friend said they needed to take me out to celebrate when they heard the news re: legal name change. That was our first official date and we’ve become partners since. :smiling_face:

5 Likes

Let’s call it a rebirthday. In any case, it is definitely a day worth celebrating!

2 Likes

Aww! Thank you. :smiley:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.