"Don't feed the trolls" they keep saying. and it keeps not working

You might want to screen-cap it, for discussion, here. And use a url-shortener if you want to link, without the post itself showing a back-link.

Well, any new user who comes in and posts, as their very first post, a long “oh my look at your logical discussion fallacy” diatribe is not exactly a winner in anyone’s book, are they?

It is also a bit disproportionate in that it addresses what is a minor two sentence joke-y aside with many hundreds of words… and quotes from external sources with more words.

I keep coming back to the good faith principle. Is this person contributing anything to the discussion that can reasonably support the hypothesis that they are here to listen as well as talk? I guess there is some room for benefit of the doubt on first posts, but this one is a doozy.

As others have said: :flags:

5 Likes

I don’t disagree. Sure, his first contributions here on bbs are not inspiring. But I’d like to chat about the zoomed-out view.

New poster with an established twitter presence. A quick scan of his activity would peg him as 90% pro-gamur gaite. Can that sort of evaluation be automated? Should forums be able to set participation thresholds based on established track records?

It is very very eminently flag-worthy in my view. Even without looking any deeper than the first post.

1 Like

It seems like a bit of an over reaction to me. We’re talking about a post that was, if anything excessively polite, while making the rambling point in question. As to the idea of a background check and ideological litmus test before being allowed to post- I can scarcely think of anything more off-putting. I’m sure most of our regulars would fail such a test, depending on who we got to set it. I know I would.

3 Likes

And how many of us know exactly what show and what episode that’s from? :smile:

/nerd alert

1 Like

Your preference. If I ran a site (which I am obviously too lazy to do), I would love the ability to screen out known gamer-gat0rs, MRAs, etc with an 85% confidence interval. There are already many many mainstream places where I could go to have discussions with persons of such worldviews, if I wanted to. My impression is that most people who staunchly advocate for MRA and GG causes are proud of it and unlikely to hide it. That’s fine for them, but I’ve about as much time for them as I do for people who think that profiteering should be the norm in healthcare.

To be clear, I’m also not advocating that bbs needs to lean to, nor adopt, my worldview. I view this place as an anarchistic watering hole that attracts all types of mutants.

5 Likes

A copy of your excellent post belongs in that other thread about “men scare me on the Internet.”

Twitter has done a better job with this lately though.

Facebook is pretty good if you stay mostly in your circle of friends and only occasionally venture out into the wild. I think YouTube and Reddit are the worst. They seriously suck so bad I can’t even go on them because it’s just wading through drivel to get to only a few good things.

3 Likes

Facebook’s gotten a lot better since I’ve used a browser extension to remove the stalker panel and can keep from seeing all my friends’ interactions with their acquaintances.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 745 days. New replies are no longer allowed.