Dressing for minus fifty (or less): what people in Yakutsk wear out in the coldest city on Earth

At those temperatures you don’t try to heat a whole garage. There’s just too much air. You get something like an engine block heater.

5 Likes

Managing the layers must be tricky, between not freezing when sitting still to not sweating when exerting yourself.

6 Likes

In humid places or from sellers of less than ideal gasoline, we get water moisture in the fuel lines and other places. So even when we try to fill up our gas tanks in our vehicles prior to a big freeze, it’s sometimes not enough.

I get it that gasoline has a very low freezing point, but dang if there is some water in it somewhere. Ugh.

I work outside. It’s winter here. It’s going to freeze tonight, probably. Our climate is dampish right now. My hacks:

Great fabric, not itchy, very wicking, much wow.

For inside gloves, preferably on the top of one’s hands, not on palms, if using gloves to lift free weights etc. I sometimes put these packets in my boots as well. Warning: they do get kinda hot, and if they are fresh they are toasty and I wrap them up in a bandana. I also put them in pockets near my kidneys.

Skip the caffeine–it’s a vasoconstrictor. My hands, feet, ears all get colder when I drink the stuff in cold weather.

Wear a hat you can take off once you start sweating.

And… when are you going to build a sauna out there in your desert paradise? I mean, for the winter?

5 Likes

The wet sauna is in the works, when we demo the master bath, a steam sauna system will be installed in the shower area. Going to be nice for those cold days.

3 Likes

I’m wearing merino wool socks right now!

5 Likes
1 Like

I was in Edmonton one winter and it was -40°F with a wind chill factor (so maybe -20°?). I went outside about 4:30 p.m. and I wore my parka and a hat and gloves. After 15 minutes of walking around outside in the downtown area, I realized that I wasn’t entirely sure where my hotel was. I started to feel uncomfortably cold and seriously worried about freezing to death. (It was a Sunday and buildings and stores were shut tight.) Brrrrrrrrr.

We later decided to walk to a restaurant and you can bet that I wore an additional scarf, tights, and thermals, along with the snap-on hood on my parka. I felt wonderful.

The funny thing was when we arrived at the airport to go home to California, I saw the flight from Yellowknife arrive and these people were shedding their outer layers before exiting the airport.

5 Likes

Yup. It’s how the Tibetans and Nepalese get away with wearing beautiful wool felt (even the soles) boots.

Those reindeer boots of hers are avarice-inducing.

4 Likes

After losing a lawnmower that sat in an unheated garage for a winter to crappy gas, I make sure that the last fillup of the fall for any small engines is the ethanol-free stuff. For the few extra bucks it costs, it’s a lot cheaper than replacing a new engine.

4 Likes

Higgle-dy piggle-dy
Way down to heaven, yeah!

3 Likes

Agreed.
It’s extremely hard to find ethanol-free gas in our Central Texas county.
I usually run the mower engine completely dry before winter storage.

Every single can of gas for that mower (it’s a Honda) gets the red-color fuel stabilizer treatment. A wee bottle will treat many tens of gallons.

I hear you. Ouch!

I have a friend who did not properly prep his backhoe for winter storage (his son “put it away” and I think that was where things went off course). Diesel, yes, but still… lots of big messy repairs now, I suspect. I drove our truck over to his place and we simply could not start that backhoe no matter how long we jumped its battery. I feel for him.

2 Likes

Perhaps they would have been more attentive to weather conditions if they had had to sleep in tents too.

2 Likes

I recall a story about a similar thing happening in the waning years of the Soviet Union. The response was that one of the octogenarian marshals flew over from the Kremlin and took the officers responsible out into a frigid field with just their greatcoats to show them how to huddle together so that they wouldn’t freeze to death. Because that veteran of the Great Patriotic War was of the opinion that “Soviet soldiers don’t die of the cold.”

3 Likes

Les Stroud has mentioned this very problem.

Something like “you sweat, you’re dead” in extreme cold.

2 Likes

I think it was part of the dehumanizing thing that was part of the military mind back then. We were disposable livestock. Many of us would be sent to Viet Nam and killed off. Get used to it maggots your mommy can’t help you now. Heard a lot of that shit

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.