DRM could kill game emulators and erase the history of an artform

Ye of little faith.

2 Likes

Thanks for the update. That makes a lot more sense…

Interesting. I don’t think that was sold here in Japan. 3DO was odd, kind of a console and kind of not a console. Konami released at least one 3DO title here, a port of Policenauts sold as a special edition with a mouse and mousepad. I’ve heard the code was just ported from some other version, possibly PC98, and that it was the worst of all the editions of Policenauts. That said, Konami was never a console only publisher, I have IBM PC and Commodore 64 versions of their classic Metal Gear (which started out as a PC game for the MSX platform).

1 Like

barack-obama-true

1 Like

So they are saying that if I break my PS3 and decide instead of buying a used one I download and play my legally acquired copy of Persona 5 on an emulator, the emulator developers are breaking the law?

I don’t believe so. The law is only broken when someone illegally obtains a ROM. Like right now i believe its legal for you to own a physical copy of Duck Hunt, download a NES emulator and the ROM for Duck Hunt because you own the game in real life. Said copy is seen as a back up copy… i may be wrong but this is my working knowledge on the matter but i could be way off :B

1 Like

That was my understanding as well. It seems the only way to violate the DMCA with an emulator would be to download and play a copy of a game you don’t already own. The thing is, I can’t see any evidence that the rpcs3 folk have done that or advocated it at all and downloading a game you don’t own and playing it doesn’t require an emulator.

(and @Grey_Devil) there are potentially DCMA issues regarding the ROMs of the console being emulated as well. One example I remember is the Sega CD/Mega CD emulators which are distributed without the system ROM images which you have to find elsewhere. Reason of course being that the ROM images are copyrighted to the console manufacturer.

EDIT: @Grey_Devil Duck Hunt and other light gun games will never work right w/o an NTSC or PAL CRT. Same reason why the English version of Snatcher for Sega CD/Mega CD is nearly unbeatable in emulation. The timing of the segment which uses the light gun differs from the original Japanese one and its almost impossible to beat using just a d-pad controller.

1 Like

Right and in my scenario I had legally purchased the console but it broke down. I own the physical ROMS but being skeptical of my ROM dump skills, I downloaded a dumped ROM from a person who was skilled at it.

EDIT:

Well, not with the old hardware anyway https://www.ultimarc.com/aimtrak.html

1 Like

Did you ever see the units which plugged into a console and then you inserted a game and a floppy disk and it dumped the game cart to floppy? Thats the way most 8 and 16 bit game rom images were originally sourced.

Those things were also handy for home-brew games/demos. For a while I was teaching myself SNES dev using one where I’d write/compile on a PC then test out my software on a SNES/SuperFamicom.

No I haven’t but that sounds like an awesome bit of kit.

This article has some info and pics of that type of unit

For all I know I might even still have one in storage.

2 Likes

Who even cares? As long as we have the access to unblocked games? :stuck_out_tongue:

Talking about emulator games, the sources are infinite. Here’s one for you: http://www.virteract.com/

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.