Dungeons & Dragons puts the kibosh on AI art for its products

In summer 2005, I took a business class that required us to research an industry. I chose nostalgia-themed roleplaying, focusing on Goodman Games. I was chatting in a class forum about how nice it was to see Erol Otus’ art on module covers again, and a fellow student asked if I’d heard that DCSIII had recently died. I hadn’t, so he linked the Boing Boing article, and I’ve been here ever since.

So yeah, DCS III. I’m already home.

was it a matter of catching it? or were they okay with it - given that it’s cheaper - until they were caught?

but if a company does need to police its artists, ask for development sketches. and really, i guess i’d be surprised if that weren’t already happening. why would an artist spend all their time on a finished piece without getting the initial rough approved? why would an art director wait till the final piece before having a chance to provide feedback?

1 Like

eta: capybara!

( phew getting that image to display was rough. the one boxing does not like boingboing links. maybe deliberately so? )

1 Like

As far as I understand though, in this case, the art was generated first by a human then fine tuned with AI, so that’s a little hyperbolic.

Well, I will definitely not deny a certain level of nostalgia tinge to this, I think that it would make me just as happy to see today for the first time. His style brings to mind a very specific type of outsider art (or, as I like to call it, art) that I have always really enjoyed

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.