Easy to use, camping and emergency fire starter

Light My Fire make better fire starters than most - their mischmetal alloy seems to be of a slightly different composition than others. The standard ferrocerium rod seems to throw fewer, large sparks, whereas Light My Fire’s rods produce a larger number of sparks at the expense of each spark’s size. As a result, they’re more effective most of the time.

They last longer and work in a wider variety of conditions than lighters or matches. I’d say that if there’s a chance that you’re going to end up out and about and in need of fire, it’s wise to carry multiple methods of firelighting, and I would include a ferro rod among them. A ferrocerium rod will last a long time - much longer than the same volume or even weight of bic lighters or storm matches. You can use them with a wide variety of man-made or natural tinders - but they’re easier to use and get results from than other boy-scout methods like bow drills.

The disadvantage of bics being that when used for lighting something other than a cigarette, they seem to overheat and self-destruct long before they’re empty.

(Vaseline + cotton ball) + matches

1 Like

The last time I bought film, about a week ago.

#oldschool4eva

Strike anywhere matches aren’t super safe. I’ve seen a box of them fall off a table, strike against each other and get very hot, very quickly. Glad it wasn’t in the trunk of a car.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.