Egypt zoo reportedly disguised donkey as a zebra

It’s honestly kind of baffling that trying at this would still be considered a good plan.

There probably was a time(potentially one that stretched right up until around the point where printing photographs in books and newspapers became cheap; some artistic interpretations of exotic animals lean heavily toward ‘interpretation’) when exotic animals were a good asymmetric information bet; but now?

Are there really that many people who care enough to buy zoo admission (and can do so); while never having seen a tattered used book about charismatic megafauna; or a few youtube clips on a janky smartphone, or something?

1 Like

Can you imagine the meeting where this got decided? “And we can cut our animal purchasing costs by 50% with Project Just Paint 'Em…”

2 Likes

2 Likes

Sure leads me to believe where the profits from the endeavor got to.

1 Like

Reminds me of the film “Fierce Creatures” and Kevin Kline’s character’s introduction of a barely robotic panda into the zoo he was put in charge of.

2 Likes

Maybe the zoo director pocketed the money meant for acquisition of a real zebra and…

1 Like

It reminds me of my time in Moldova. I learned there was a zoo in the capitol city of Chisinau, where I was staying, but my Moldovan friend warned me off, stating that it was no better than a roadside petting zoo. I’m not real hot for zoos for the obvious reasons, but if a certain exotic animals aren’t available, and a certain level of care possible, perhaps it isn’t a good idea to advertise them.

2 Likes

Well, it can’t be any worse than that zoo in China that has nothing in it but one small dog.

(It’s a shit zoo.)

6 Likes

I guess you don’t need spanx undergarments to trick people into staring at your ass?

1 Like

Witness protection program, obviously.

groucho

5 Likes

maybe’s someone wanted to sell two donkeys but only had one so offered a zebra instead

accounts : 1 donkey missing
borrowed zebra

buffy-giles-inappropriate-laugh

2 Likes

It wouldn’t be entirely surprising if it was more of a “our old zebra went EOL under circumstances that would reflect very, very, poorly on our standards of animal husbandry and veterinary adequacy; how can we obtain a replacement with as little fuss and fewest questions asked as possible?” exercise.

3 Likes

Maybe that donkey self-identifies as a zebra, and you a-holes are discriminating against it by assuming it’s species.

6 Likes

It’s a lifestyle choice. That donkey has been duped by the Zebra Agenda. /s

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.