Elite runner wins 3rd in ultramarathon — by using car in part of the race (and yes, she's disqualified)

Originally published at: Elite runner wins 3rd in ultramarathon — by using car in part of the race (and yes, she's disqualified) | Boing Boing

2 Likes

I mean, perhaps she was advised that it was OK? It maybe a colleague told her that the rules were unclear, and she should accept the award?

9 Likes

ahhh haaaa i see what you did there

4 Likes

So…all this training I’ve been doing for an ultramarthon has been for nothing?
Sleeping In Car GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

8 Likes

To be fair, you aren’t at your best at the finish of an ultra, even if you only ran 47.5 miles. I can see not being mentally sharp enough handle a stressful situation well.

I also doubt there’s any prize money, as most ultras are operated on shoe-string (ha) budgets. It really sucks that there’s this much media attention for something that affects maybe 2 or 3 other people in the whole world (and my bet is they aren’t upset about it anyways).

4 Likes

What’s with the photo - is that the arid desert landscape of Southern Lancashire?

4 Likes

Long distance running gives you plenty of time to think . . . about a plausible excuse for why you cheated for part of the race.

2 Likes

This tbh, that’s the most parsimonious explanation

1 Like

I think it is pretty clear that if you have done any part of an ultra in a vehicle without being directed to by the race organisers, you are disqualified. That should not be ambiguous.

I understand her desire to finish the race, but in that instance you need to stop before going down the finish chute.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.