Elon Musk has grim prediction that AI (not North Korea) will be cause of WWIII

I’m not completely clear on what “ai” is, in the sense that he means. Is it fake social media accounts that auto generate crap like this, complete with followers?

Becaus those do seem to be incredibly influential at the moment. Or what exactly?

I saw “Forbin” had a later, long-lasting career as a soap star. I’d seen his character on the soaps, I just never connected it with the movie. I can’t remember if he’s still at that or not.

1 Like

He’s Eric Braeden, and he apparently still is on daytime TV. I used to watch him on The Young and the Restless when I stayed with my grandmother. I didn’t give a damn about the show, but I have to admit he was quite good.

1 Like

I agree with that. I’d say he’s an iconic category-defining soap star. I’ve been seeing him like forever, and apparently he doesn’t age.

1 Like

But you’re right - I understand he gets someone to print it all out for him rather than reading it direct from the computer.

1 Like

Um…

North Korea has been around since 1945 and either had or been trying to get nuclear weapons pretty much the whole time.

AI - depending on how you define it - doesn’t actually exist yet.

4 Likes

I really don’t get it. Why do people care what this Musk or Zuckerberg or or who ever happens to be the business mogul of the month thinks about anything?

Is it just because they made a lot of money or something?

3 Likes

I’ve been listening to the Science magazine podcast, and they recently brought up the fact that, for certain types of AIs, we really don’t know how they are reaching the conclusions they do. Like an AI will be able to identify dogs with 90% accuracy. But do you know if it is identifying muzzle shape, body position, environmental clues, or just the fact the thing wears a collar?

If the AI is modifying its own processes to some extent, what’s going on inside eventually becomes a black box. The commentary indicating they were trying various methods to figure out how the AIs produced the results they did.

Fun fact, when I was in college for computer science (in the 90s), the main on campus server was Colossus, and the one you VPN into off campus was Guardian. I think they did this as both an homage, and making sure people found out the origins of the names, as an attempt to enforce ethics in programming. It worked for me.

2 Likes

Especially if the system has been working successfully and conveniently for some time before a failure happens.

1 Like

Well, both Musk as an engineer and Zuckerberg as a programmer are arguably more qualified than the average person to comment on certain tech subjects and they are in a position to reach a large audience. I’m by no means saying you should accept what they say uncritically but for them say it is at least less ridiculous than if it was someone without a background in technology saying it.

Does autocorrect count as AI? Because I could totally see a mis-worded tweet initiating WWIII.

Although I fear that scenario might happen even without a meddling autocorrect.

4 Likes

I curse auto correct so much on my phone that if you type “fucking” it automatically suggests “autocorrect” afterwards.

I remembered him from Escape from the Planet of the Apes, 100 Rifles and on the WWII cheese-fest Rat Patrol (under the name Hans Gundegast).

Since I do not watch soaps and my mother’s go-to was a different one (Days of Our Lives) I had no idea he had that role for over 30 years, damn!

2 Likes

I have more faith in the predictions of Michio Kaku than I do those of Mr. Musk.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.