Elon Musk says no to flying cars

I reject your reality and substitute it with my own!

In the end, I love the idea of having a flying car. But then I ask myself “Will we see air rage next?” (pictures ragin’ idjit stepping out of his FLYING car in anger)

Seriously, though, I have flown planes and there is no way I want to see today’s driving habits in the air!

In a market like the US, I totally agree with you. But I’m sure the math would play out differently in a place like Japan, where owning a car is serious business. (It’s a bad idea for different reasons over there, unless maybe you can land on a rice paddy.)

Most Japanese are squeezed to keep and maintain a car as it is…between the ridiculous registration/“safety inspection” fees (google ‘shaken’), fuel prices, and the undoubted cost of the vehicle to begin with, I can’t see it. You’d also need to bury a lot of the power lines (above ground due to land cost and easy repair) or you’d be unable to take off in most neighborhoods. And takeoffs would blow the neighbors’ windows (and ears) out…Japanese houses are still quite close together. You’d need landing pads/parking lots in centralized areas, which would negate a lot of the advantages.
I think they’d be great as ambulances or other emergency vehicles in rural areas, or even taxis, but I can’t see them being mainstream here. Sadly.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.