Enamel pin for artists tired of being asked to work for free

2 Likes

More the merrier. :slightly_smiling_face:
My goal is to make sure I’m respecting artists’ self-determination with regards to their work, so more perspectives are welcome.

One of the things that soured me on Twitter was the endemic problem of people passing off the ideas and work of others as their own. Quite frequently I’d see something that got a boat load of likes but was presented without credit as though it belonged to the account that posted it, and then I’d find an earlier post or tweet of it somewhere else.

3 Likes

This too; I work a lot from photographic reference material so I make a point of crediting the photographer, even if it is my friend.
“From” or “Inspired by” can be but one step away from theft, if not credited properly.
I’m looking at YOU, Richard Prince :rage:

4 Likes

Typically that’s why one sees watermarks or some sort of “By x person” type of thing, but i have seen instances of people editing those out or pasting over those marks with something else or cropping them out. Which is an even scummier thing because it’s blatant theft at that point. I have seen some people not credit artists because they just didn’t think to do so or no one taught them proper etiquette, but erasing someone’s watermark is a whole other thing.

5 Likes

The times i didn’t credit would because said reference only played a small part of the drawing and i remade it significantly and no longer resembled the original. But there were certain references that really spoke to me and i wanted to make it central to what i had in mind and i would go far out of my way to get the ok from the person that made it. If i didn’t hear back i would try my best to find a suitable replacement or try to come up with something on my own if i really had to but i always preferred getting permission.

1 Like

http://www.shouldiworkforfree.com/

3 Likes

I try to take my own pics (even though all I really need is my phone), but the hardest part is trying to tell a client I can’t work from their grainy, poorly lit photo with no real effort put into composition or grouping.
They tend to be the same people who won’t even hire a semi-professional to photograph a wedding.

3 Likes

Ah, THEM! :wink:
I too prefer to work from my own reference photos, whatever the final medium or outcome, but seeing as I don’t know Lynda Carter, or her photographer, my Wonder Woman illustration remains uncredited. Lucky it is personal work, really. Trademarked images can get you in REAL trouble if you’re not careful/honest.

3 Likes

I like to tell my design students that “exposure” is what you die of when you can’t afford to pay the rent.

7 Likes

Just before the Art & Design Degree show last year, I told my class that it was worth pushing themselves for that last project.
“Yeah, we got this far. It’s worth the effort!”
“Exactly!” I replied, “Nothing worth it was ever easy,”
I paused. “Except your mum.”
*Total silence. For 10 seconds.

4 Likes

Or if you want to be less nice about it:

3 Likes

What I don’t understand about the “anyone can do it” thing is that it seems to so easily invite the “then surely you can handle it yourself?” reply.

A really good misunderstanding must be painfully blinkered in a way that’s at least an order of magnitude more laborious to rebut than it is to assert; and that one just doesn’t seem to do the job.

2 Likes

Are you selling, by any chance? I’m really in the market right about now.

2 Likes

Yeah, but this rent shaped hole in my bank account won’t be.

1 Like

The excuse I always hear is that art is fun for me, so I should draw them for free, purely for pleasure.

I DO draw for fun for free though. It’s just it’s not the art anyone asked for or directed me to make.

It’s like being an actor - they have faces all the time for free, but telling them what to do with their face and having them do it even if they don’t feel like making that face costs money.

3 Likes

By: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/exposure

For what it’s worth: I experience that sort of thing (or more to the point, that sort of person) regularly, and I’m a civil engineer.

5 Likes

Versions for knitters, crocheters - most craftspeople - would be welcome, too.

A lady on the train I’d never met before in my life asked me to come home with her and fix her computer.

Totally not kidding, and it was definitely not a come-on, either.

I politely informed her that my free-lance price was $200 per hour and she got up in a huff.

2 Likes

I showed my artist friend the pin and then immediately asked him to draw something for me. Of course, I pay him.

Below this the first commission I ask him to draw.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.