End.Game: a synth album from 19A0

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/31/end-game-a-synth-album-set-in.html

4 Likes

I remember EVERYTHING, as if it were only Yesterday… unfortunately, I can’t remember yesterday. Man, what a wasted youth…

5 Likes

Looking forward to giving this a listen, thanks!

Someone needs to produce the show “I love the A0’s,” heheh. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@beschizza to see and hear your own work adapted like this must truly be incredible. I look forward to checking this out!

2 Likes

Was 19A0’s inspired by “1Q84” (pronounced the same as 1984 in Japanese), or is it convergent evolution?

3 Likes

I haven’t read it but I’m familiar with the title. I’d say parallel but perhaps riding the same zeitgeist. I was inspired by seeing 19A0 as a single byte in a hex dump of ██████████

4 Likes

Looking it up I see 1Q84 came out in English two weeks after I posted Mixtape of the Lost Decade! But with an except published in the New Yorker the month before.

spooky eyes unicode

3 Likes

1Q84 is also set in a creepy alternate 1980’s.

I just realized that, in a lot of England, “19A0” is probably pronounced exactly the same at “1980.”

3 Likes

An early memory of East Ham, where I lived until I was four or five years old: very elderly men lamenting some thing or other, one saying “weww, its the A’ies innit”

5 Likes

The nineteen-a-zeddies? (zed for zero) The nineteen-a-oaties? A-naughties? A-nullies? I don’t think this is a productive direction I’m going… =) I want to say it, I just don’t know what to say. I want to go back to then!!

1 Like

Rob, I always loved this idea of yours. Did the band credit you, either publically or privately?

2 Likes

They did!

4 Likes

I like “A-null”, because it evokes both the concept of year (a la “annual”) and nothingness.

2 Likes

I like music.

2 Likes

Do you like American music?

1 Like

I like world music.

From any world.

1 Like

This will be going in my Mixtape playlist.

1 Like

It also reads as “anal” :joy: (I my local dialect, that is pronounced, “a-nul”).

@beschizza Oddly, I can sort of remember reading a story called “The Shadow over Eyemouth”; it must have been released sometime between the 1970s and 1980s, but I can’t find any reference to it on the Internet.

The details are vague, but it was something about the population of the Earth waking up with eyeballs replacing their eyemouths; and them having no recollection of ever looking any different.

The story was told from the point of view of the one person who didn’t nod off on that fateful night and who spends their time creating photo-collages of faces with eye-mouths to try to jog everyone’s memories of a time when faces didn’t contain weird, googly balls of gunk.

1 Like

But, do you love music?
Sweet, sweet music
Long as it’s swinging
All the joy that it’s bringing

1 Like

… just as long as it’s grooving.

1 Like