Engineer/hero/entrepreneur Limor "ladyada" Fried was kicked off Facebook and no one will tell her why

Incidentally, Google+ did it first.

2 Likes

Whatever backstory there is, my money would be on Facbeook being wrong :smiley: Hell, they are wrong by definition here.

The moment Youtube/Google decided they would nuke my account with holiday movies for TOS violations without explaining what I violated and with no communication possible was the moment I vowed never to useany ‘social media’ services in a way that I would start to rely on them (and that means no Gmail, no Facebook, no Twitter for me).

4 Likes

As always, there is a relevant XKCD.

I don’t actually know or believe that Facebook is evil but I can’t help but think about this when there’s a complaint about it.

12 Likes

A particularly blinkered reading of that might be the excuse; but there are a fair number of people on facebook under the pseudonym that they use for business or performance purposes, mostly without incident; so I’d be very surprised if it’s the real reason.

One 'Dr. Drey", for instance, doesn’t not find his facebook activity curtailed by the fact that he lacks an MD/PhD/etc. and has only a loose association between his legal name and ‘Drey’.

She doesn’t move product in the same volumes, so it is more likely that some anonymous compliance peon has never heard of her; but she’s not wildly obscure.

2 Likes

Not saying anything says a lot more than saying something.

3 Likes

I don’t actually think the name issue was it. I was just hearkening back to when her having “ladyada” in her profiles caused trauma with “real name” policies. However, it was actually Google+ that had the issue, not Facebook, and that was 14 years ago.

I wonder if someone was trying to ‘hack the hacker’, and as Google reinstated her account, FB may soon follow. Or was she trying to make her own hacks to the FB interface? Maybe she programmed Raspberry Pi to impersonate her by autogenerating status updates, and FB found out!! Will we ever learn the truth?! Till then, I think that may be one of the greatest Wired covers ever.

Edit: there still seems to be a Facebook account for Limor Fried (Ladyada); it’s https://www.facebook.com/limorfriedadafruit according to the original post, and it’s still there (though no updates following yesterday’s post). So I wonder if they have restored her account, or if it’s somehow frozen.

Also, there’s often a related BoingBoing post too:

2 Likes

I’ve seen a lot of really weird FB bans in the trans community. The name issue is a big one, but I’ve heard of folks transitioning, and being marked as fraudulently impersonating their former selves. All of it ends up with a heaping dose of frustration because FB is less then open, and difficult to work with a lot of the time.

Who knows why they banned her. Until they say, nobody will know, not even her.

6 Likes

I was kicked off Facebook about five years ago apparently for “fraud” according to the notification. I never did find out who to contact to ask what they meant, let alone do anything about it. I think they assume people will just create another account. (I didn’t).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.