England moves to opt-out organ donation model

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/05/20/uk-moves-to-opt-out-organ-dona.html

11 Likes

I wish the US would do this, but I doubt we ever will due to AnCap hand-wringing. Ironically, they’d probably be okay with letting creditors sell off organs of deceased debtors.

14 Likes

This headline is quite misleading. The four countries making up the UK each have their own health system. Wales was the first to introduce opt out organ donation in 2015. England have followed today as will Scotland later this year. Northern Ireland retains an opt in system.

24 Likes

Oh @beschizza once again you steal my heart. This time it was the tag Random Act of Kidneys. You owe me yet another keyboard.

15 Likes

That’s what I like to see! Someone else taking over my “Pedantry about the details of devolution amongst the countries that currently make up the UK” duties.

Welcome to boingboing, new person!

18 Likes

Convenient, as thanks to the Tories a great many brits are soon going to be coughing and shitting those organs directly out of their bodies.

12 Likes

As a business model, removing as many steps as possible in acquiring your product for sale makes sense.

I hate this Timeline.

15 Likes
8 Likes

@Purplecat You’re welcome - and thank you! Very, very long time reader… first time commenter.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t say it was misleading as such, rob is a former brit afterall but i would have differentiated between england and the uk as a whole. Like you say, wales have had this in place since 2015 and scotland’s will be from march 2021.

2 Likes

I’ve updated the post. Thanks for the correction, @bmevans.

17 Likes

Good. I knew a kid who died waiting on an organ. (I was a kid too, we were cub scouts together)

If you have a deeply held belief (religious or whatever) about how your body should be handled after death, then it should not be an issue to do an opt out.

People die waiting on organs and it has a very real effect on those they leave behind, it is not an abstract policy issue.

9 Likes

Does the UK properly compensate families for the organs?

Yes, of course it does.
There is NO compensation.
It would be wholly improper to pay for organs.
YMMV (your morality may vary)

For my part, I do not believe it proper to consider that a family ‘owns’, or should profit from its relatives’ bodies once deceased.

too many edits due to inability to type accurately tonight

19 Likes

If your family really wants your organs after you die, they can still have them for free - they just need to get you to fill in a form before you go.

Otherwise, no. It’s not a butcher’s shop.

5 Likes

And then there are the Crown Dependencies (like the Isle of Man or Jersey) and the Overseas Territories (like Gibraltar or the Falkland Islands.) But they only exist to annoy people and create good trivia quiz questions.

1 Like

It’s all part of a clear and consistent* worldview where sane defaults, even fully voluntary ones, are almost as much death camps as capital gains taxes are; while reflexive exoneration of security forces involved in extrajudicial executions is just patriotic law 'n order.

1 Like

I should think that real world examples, such as China’s harvesting of organs from prisoners, combined with the myriad abuses of the medical community in the U.S., the criminalization of blackness and brownness, and huge disparities in quality of healthcare for the impoverished and communities of color that there would be room for objections that aren’t necessarily indicative of the objector being either a full-on AnCap or a MAGA bootlicker.

2 Likes
5 Likes

Do you really think society would be better off by adding profit motive to that kind of thing?

5 Likes